Win XP Boot Problem!

pez

OSNN Newbie
Hi,
I started my computer today to find a black screen with "boot failure insert boot disk" on it.
I've tried makind the six floppy disks, but it said their was a corrupt file and ive changed my pc to boot from cd drive, it reinstalls xp, but when its done it says if their is a disk in drive a please remove it, and when it restarts it says the same black screen again, and if i leave the cd rom in when it restarts it starts the installation again!.

someone please help its driving me insane!!!!!
just as i got it all working properly aswell.:dead:

DI'm sure their is no floppy in it, just the xp cd-rom

Unplug the computer from the wall, count to ten, plug it back in. Fire it up.

EDIT: and take the cd out

I unplugged it, the message still appears, the hard drive works fine.:cry:

damn it. open up the box and disconnect/reconnect the hard drive. I suppose it might be a loose connection...

meanwhile I'll continue searching for a solution.

i'm guessing the hd is configured as master and in the bios is configured as the bootable one right?
if it installs well, then it can't be the hd (afaik). it seems like it doesn't find the mbr to read off the boot info...have you tried using that hd on another pc and seeing if it boots?

I have Tried unplugging the hard drive and reconnecting it, i don't have another pc i can try it in as i'm not allowed 2 dismantle it lol, and my mates wont let me use theires either!

pez said:
I have Tried unplugging the hard drive and reconnecting it, i don't have another pc i can try it in as i'm not allowed 2 dismantle it lol, and my mates wont let me use theires either!
What are the jumpers set to on the HDD and CD-ROM?

they are as standard and they were working like it lol. i havent touched them

pez said:
but when its done it says if their is a disk in drive a please remove it

I think that part is just to remind you "if there is a disk in drive A remove it"

I've seen that alot just standard for some software to say that.

As for the boot disk failure replace the cable for the harddrive then set it for first boot device in bios see if it boots with a new cable.

Could just be a cable went bad.

ok, i changed the cable, still dosent work, yes my hard drive is still 2nd boot. this is driving me nuts lol i really need this thing to work, i have no luck with computers!:mad:

Try setting drive to first boot device as Bush Dogg suggested.

Another option you may want to try is to go into recovery console and fixboot.

just check the boot sequence

if the problem still persist, then boot with XP bootable, go to recovery console(by pressing R on the first screen of stallation) rec. console will ask for the partiton choose the the partition where is the XP Actaully installed, then go to the windows directory then repair folder, in that copy all the file except the sam file to the directory /windows/system/config, after coping it restart the pc. Hopfully u will get success. if by chance it doesn't work redo the steps and when u come to the step coping files, this time don't copy the system.sav and offcourse sam.

these all u can do in graphics mode if u have dual boot(win 2k, professional)from any ntfs OS partition.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back