Win XP and Win 95

W

westy1

I am trying to set up win 95 on my second harddrive.
I have removed my master harddrive with win xp on it in the bios.
I have created a 2gig partition on my 2nd drive formatted to FAT.
I start with a 95 bootdisk and start to install ok. However when I get part of the way through and remove disks and reboot, when it reboots I get a general protection error and told to start in safe mode which is ok.
What do I need to do to get past this problem:(

I intend to put 95and 98 on my 2nd hard drive, the reason for this is that I,m studying for the A+ exam, and I want to have a play around with other operating systems.

While I can't directly answer your question, I can suggest that you can accomplish this fairly easily using Partition Magic 7.0. It will allow you to install an older OS after XP is already installed (leave both disks connected).

So let me guess,

You have an AMD processor

And by deduction it;s faster than 350 Mhz

And you've found the timing error ?

If my deductions are correct holmes, then you need the amd patch available from their website

(Of course its possible i'm utterly wrong :D )

OK bytes back very good, you are right, I have got an AMD ATHLON XP 1700.

I have had a look at there site but cant see anything about a patch if someone finds it can they post a link to it.

/www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_3559_689^3474,00.html

Your'e going to have to cut and past this as the forum won't allow a link this long. Its on the right hand side. :)

Just installed and executed the patch, but it came up with a message saying that my version of processor does not need the patch.

Still get the Windows protection message telling me to reboot, but can only go to safe mode.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok, so it's not the timing issue ( bugger !! :D )

As safe mode misses all the drivers when it loads, then it must be a driver issue. Could you install 95 on another machine and then stuff it into yours. You may find that when it's fully installed it may work.

I have only got to the first stage of the installation when it tells you to remove disk from floppy and reboot.
At this stage what drivers would be loaded ?.
Could I do a step by step boot until I find what is causing the problem.

You'll have to excuse me here, it's a lnog time since I've installed 95. Has it been through the detecting hardware and installing drivers bit yet ?

Yes it has. But I dont know what it picked up is there any way of telling, I have not been asked for any driver disks yet.

So it will have installed some default 95 drivers which are causing the problems. Ok, try this

Boot into XP with both hard drives connected, put all the win95 drivers onto the win95 hard drive. Go into win95 safe mode and update as many as you can.

Originally posted by westy1
I have only got to the first stage of the installation when it tells you to remove disk from floppy and reboot.
At this stage what drivers would be loaded ?.
Could I do a step by step boot until I find what is causing the problem.
Yeah, go with the step-by-step (you'll have to ok each driver as it loads). Let us know what it hangs on. I'm kinda hoping it's not the machine you're using right now ;) .

Done a step by step boot, the only failure was...
C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\MARLETT.TTF
FAILURE CODE 0016

not sure what Error 0016 is but you could check that out on the Microsoft KB, but I am not sure if they still have all of the Win95 information though they should.

That's wierd, puking over a font type :confused:

It froze as soon as it got to that one? I don't know what to suggest here. You might try cracking open system.ini and the other startup files and see if you can find the entry that loads this particular font and delete it. You should be able to do that in safe mode.

There's a ton of stuff that could cause 95 not to work on todays systems, new hard drives, new hardware that doesn't really look back in general.

I just had a thought. How much RAM do you have on this machine? Too much could be a problem.

I have 384mb sdram.

I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it, I only want to have a play around with windows 95 for the A+ exam.

You might reduce it to 128mb or 256mb just to see if it will boot for you... it's just a guess though. I don't think it has a problem until you get past 512mb, but then again it was my ME installation that I learned about the 512mb barrier and never had 95 on anything with much more then 64mb on it.

Hey, troubleshooting OSes is what it's all about. If you fix this you're on your way. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back