Win Update Problem

K

kch1

anyone experiencing problems using windows update currently? i've just performed a clean install of xp pro, legit :) , and am unable to use windows update properly. i had to download sp1 from elsewhere on the microsoft site.

From what I have noticed, I dont think you can get SP1 over WinUpdate. Other than SP1 can you get the other types of updates from the Windows Update site?

cant get any type of update and i know there should be drivers there for my NIC as there was last time i reinstalled xp

are you behind a firewall, were you prompted with a Security thing about the Windows Update software when you first visited?

If you are behind a firewall or proxy, then in the internet advanced settings, then you need to turn on HTTP 1.1 over Proxy Connections.

my lan is not restricted as ive used win update before, i did accept the security window when i visited the page first time round

do you get the option to 'Scan for Updates'?

And when its scanning does it show any of the percentage information?

thats the weird thing it completes then produces the error. is your working?

it happens all the time :cool: the problem is from M$'s site itself.
I suggest you turn off your firewall and enable cookie's

See if any of these help>

Windows Update - Error

1/ If you cannot update XP check your c:\windows\windows update.log. If you have this error: Error 0x800C0008 then go to Tools\internet options\languages. You must have one language selected. Boom windows update works again!

Or for LAN settings

2/ Go to control panel, open up Internet Options\Connections. Click on the Lan Settings button at the bottom right of the window. Untick Automatically detect settings.

By waddy

3/ I have had alot of emails regarding Windows Update, when you download the updates, the installation of the updates seems to hang or die. AOL users seem to have this problem more than others.

There is a way to fix this.

Double-click My Computer.

# On the Tools menu, press Folder Options.
# Select the View tab.
# Clear the Hide protected operating system flies (Recommended) box.
# Check the Show Hidden files and folders box.
# Press Apply and OK.
# Expand the C: drive.
# Expand the WUTemp folder.
# Press CTRL+A to select all the files and sub-folders in WUTemp.
# Press the Delete key and Yes when prompted to confirm the deletion.
# Expand the C: drive.
# Expand Program Files.
# Right-click the WindowsUpdate folder and Rename it OldWindowsUpdate.
# Restart your computer and delete the OldWindowsUpdate folder.
# Use Internet Explorer to visit http://www.windowsupdate.com.

It also is a good idea to delete you cookies and Temp files first. Only use this method if you have problems with Windows Update and do so at your own risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back