Win 98 SE boot/splash scrren question

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
While I was browsing arround on themeXP I came across the Ice Age boot Screen. My Wife LOVES this movie and I though it would be neat to suprise her with it, but her machine is Win 98 SE. Are there site like Theme XP for win98? (i am not getting too far with search engine) If there are could some post some links. Thanks!

oh sweet have they finally sorted out theyre server problems. mite pop over there in a mo

concerning your boot screen you wouldnt be able to run it on windows 98 as it is a file named ntoskrnl.exe and its part of the OS but you can change you splash screen in 98 but youll have to design the picture yourself and keep it withing the guidelines of a boot screen which seems more trouble than its worth just give her a ice age wallpaper shell still love you for the idea
if not get xp its a good os.
:)

Maybe this works? It says it is only for XP, but if I look at the files, they are the same as needed for the Windows 98 themes.
Found at ThemeWorld.com.

http://www.themecloud9.com/

if you look in the logo section you will see some logo's and if you download one it should have the instuctions on how to install I know its something like finding the 3 files and saving them and then using the pic you want as the logo screen rename it to the name of the original and placing it in the windows system folder I think it is but I know there are programs that can change the logo's on 98 as well

UPDATE NOTE: 01/01/2003 - Several new logo sets have been added, and all the logo sets are now in .exe format. Download to your hard drive and keep the .exe somewhere safe. Double-click the .exe to install the logos automatically; to uninstall and return to your previous screens, double-click the .exe file again.

To manage your logo screens as well as your entire desktop, we recommend DesktopFreak - it's FREE! here

http://www.themecloud9.com/

If I remember correctly the way you do it is first you have to resize the image you want to use to... I think it is 320 X 400 but you start with what the original size of the image was, then you resize keeping the same aspect ratio. It also has to be 256 color. Then you save it as logo.sys and place the file in the root of the drive that win 98SE is installed in.

Found it (how to do it)...

Replace the Ugly Startup and Shutdown Screens

Intended For
Windows Me
Windows 98
Windows 95

The pictures that tell you to "Please wait while Windows is shutting down" and that "It is now safe to turn off your computer" seem to get uglier with ever successive version of Windows. Here's how to replace these with your own designs:

* Make duplicates of the files LOGOS.SYS and LOGOW.SYS in a temporary folder. These files are located initially in your Windows folder. LOGOW.SYS is the one that reads "Please wait while...," and LOGOS.SYS is the one that reads "It is now safe to...,"

* These files are just standard bitmaps, so rename the extensions of these duplicates to .BMP.

* You can use any graphics editor to edit these files, such as MSPaint, Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro.

* The files are 256-color windows bitmaps (RGB-encoded, but not RGB color), 320 x 400.

* Since the aspect ratio (width / height) of these files are not standard 4:3, like most computer screens, the bitmaps will appear vertically elongated.

* To make your new design conform to this aspect ratio, resize the bitmap to 534 x 400 while you're working on it. Make sure to resize them back to 320 x 400 when you're done.

* Save your changes, and rename the extensions of your new files back to .SYS.

* Last, copy the new files back into your Windows folder. It might be smart to back up your original files.

* While you're at it, you can create a startup screen as well (using the above method).

* Just call the file LOGO.SYS, and place it in the root directory of your boot drive (usually C:\). There's no file to replace here; the default logo, imbedded in IO.SYS, is used if no LOGO.SYS file is found. Note: If you're using disk compression, like Doublespace, you'll need to put the file in the original boot drive (sometimes H:\).

* To remove the startup logo altogether, edit the file C:\MSDOS.SYS, and add the line LOGO=0 to the Options section. Note: This will only work, for some reason, if you have a custom startup screen in your root directory. For more information, see Contents of the MSDOS.SYS File. This setting can also be changed with TweakUI.

* Note: If you delete LOGOW.SYS and LOGOS.SYS altogether, Windows will exit to DOS instead of shutting down.

I use to make these all the time when I used Win98SE. It's bin a long while. :cool:

I have attached one if you want to use it.

Just place it as is in the root of the drive that win98 is on. Then rename to logo.sys

Here is another.

Just rename it logo.sys... but back up the other one I posted before then put this one in it's place. :cool:

Oh yeah, then reboot. :rolleyes:

And see how it works. :happy: :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back