Will W95b work on a modern machine?

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
I've been trying with little success to install W95b onto my machine as a second OS.

Depsite getting the installation to work fine the system will not boot up in w95. It always coes up with a mysterious I/O error.

Anway is this because of too much memory (nearly 1 Gb)?? or is the hardware in my machine simply not compatible?

P4 1.8 gHz etc...

Mubbers

search out the thread relating to windows ME and more than 512mb memory, this tells you a work around for the memory.

I couldn't run win95 on a 750Mhz AMD Duron machine. maybe coz i had 256mb ram or something. that was 3yrs ago.

Originally posted by GoNz0
search out the thread relating to windows ME and more than 512mb memory, this tells you a work around for the memory.

Thanks I'll look for that :)

I'm thinking the short answer is "no" :p

Why do you want to run 95b anyway?

Originally posted by j79zlr
you can use 1 GB I have done it, it seems that with more than a gig ME or 98 gets impossible. Without doing this, you will get low memory errors. You should be fine as long as you add a line in the system.ini file under [vcache] to limit the virtual memory to 512MB so it looks like:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=524288
from here: http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36787

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I'm thinking the short answer is "no" :p

Why do you want to run 95b anyway?

Well it's more of an experiment but the original idea was so I could have another go at Privateer II (freelancer being such ****e).

I have 95b OEM disc so ....

From my last experiance w/installin W95b I had to cut down the ram to 128 or 256mb sdram and the intel processor to somethin like a 500mhz an some other mods cause 95 is a bit "touchy" or useless about these things unless you cater to its "needs". I ended up buildin a special machine for it. Funny thing is, after its tweaked ... its faster than 98 or XP!

(I had bought a disk cause I was jus "curious" cause I had never used 95 before.) :)

Run Windows 95 inside VMWare or VirtualPC or something.

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back