• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Will W95b work on a modern machine?

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political User
I've been trying with little success to install W95b onto my machine as a second OS.

Depsite getting the installation to work fine the system will not boot up in w95. It always coes up with a mysterious I/O error.

Anway is this because of too much memory (nearly 1 Gb)?? or is the hardware in my machine simply not compatible?

P4 1.8 gHz etc...

Mubbers

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Originally posted by j79zlr
you can use 1 GB I have done it, it seems that with more than a gig ME or 98 gets impossible. Without doing this, you will get low memory errors. You should be fine as long as you add a line in the system.ini file under [vcache] to limit the virtual memory to 512MB so it looks like:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=524288
from here: http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36787

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political User
Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I'm thinking the short answer is "no" :p

Why do you want to run 95b anyway?
Well it's more of an experiment but the original idea was so I could have another go at Privateer II (freelancer being such ****e).

I have 95b OEM disc so ....

K

kitct

From my last experiance w/installin W95b I had to cut down the ram to 128 or 256mb sdram and the intel processor to somethin like a 500mhz an some other mods cause 95 is a bit "touchy" or useless about these things unless you cater to its "needs". I ended up buildin a special machine for it. Funny thing is, after its tweaked ... its faster than 98 or XP!

(I had bought a disk cause I was jus "curious" cause I had never used 95 before.) :)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown