Will This Work...

N

Not Bman

I am upgrading, so I guess you could say this is like the rest of them, but I have been asking questions for awhile. I have researched and I think the following is what I want....

I'm asking you if these parts are compatible with each other....

Keyboard = Logitech diNovo Media Desktop
Videocard = ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Soundcard = Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Memory : Crucial Dual Channel 2048MB
Harddrive = WD Caviar RE2 400 GB
Backup Drive = WD Essential 400 GB External
DVD/CD ROM = Plextor > Products > PX-716A
Monitor = Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW "20 Wide
Sound System = GigaWorks S750 7.1
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
Motherboard = DFI LanParty UT nF4-D ATX AMD

if you need links to each, or more information please ask....

Bman™ said:
I am upgrading, so I guess you could say this is like the rest of them, but I have been asking questions for awhile. I have researched and I think the following is what I want....

I'm asking you if these parts are compatible with each other....

Keyboard = Logitech diNovo Media Desktop
Videocard = ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Soundcard = Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Memory : Crucial Dual Channel 2048MB
Harddrive = WD Caviar RE2 400 GB
Backup Drive = WD Essential 400 GB External
DVD/CD ROM = Plextor > Products > PX-716A
Monitor = Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW "20 Wide
Sound System = GigaWorks S750 7.1
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
Motherboard = DFI LanParty UT nF4-D ATX AMD

if you need links to each, or more information please ask....

Well, starting with your motherboard, as long as it supports AMD Socket 939 X2 processors, those will work together. Speakers/Monitor/Opticals/Backup/Hard drive are moot points, as they dont have issues.

Memory - I am not sure of the pin count or frequency, but say its 184pin PC3200 (400MHz), as long as your motherboard supports that, you are fine.

Soundcard and Keyboard won't be an issue, and depending on the type of video card it is, as long as your mobo has a slot for it, you are good :)

Sorry for the vagueness, but I doubt you will have any issues :)

Looks ok, except that you don't have a PSU listed. The PSU is the most important part of your system. If it is inadequate nothing will work right.

The MB only has 4 onboard USB ports. That is not many these days, 6-8 is more common. Unless you have a need for the firewire it would be better to swap that for USB ports since interest in firewire appears to be dieing out.

ATI tech support told me that their stuff does not play well with the SB Audigy series but I have not heard of any problems with the X-Fi.

Hmm, which motherboard, with the rest of my selections...would you recommend?

I noticed all Athlon 64 chips, have more MHz, but only goes up to 2.4GHz

Why is that, which is better to have more of?

Another question, should I even worry about getting DDR2 memory, or just stick with DDR?

Answering in no particular order:

The AMD number is a synthetic benchmark rating system developed to compare performance or the more efficient AMD CPu's to the higher clock speed Intel CPUs. This no longer works since Intel also gave up on clock speed ratings as not indicating the CPUs true performance.

Some AMD CPUs have higher numbers even though their clcok speed is slower to adjust for improvements from larger internal cache or more efficient CPU designs.

Since only DDR2-667 is available there is no advantage to going DDR2 right now which is why AMD has not released the AM2 MBs yet. Even with DDR2-800 RAM it is uncertain if the systems will be significantly faster. It's waiting time until some real product is on the street...

Yes, good MB. True dual x16 SLI, 10 USB ports. Dual gigbyte ethernet and the firewire are overkill but if the price isn't too high it's a good baord.

Thanks for all the help..

Can't wait to get my new system!

This is my final setup, which I will be getting when I can lol

Motherboard

* Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (Nvidia Socket 939 ATX)
* PCI Express/SLI/Dual Gigabit LAN/USB 2.0/Serial ATA/Dual Raid
* Supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2,Sempron
* Up to 4GB RAM / DDR 266/333/400MHz
* Supports Serial ATA / Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133
* Tiger direct Price = $323.99

Processor

* AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 / 2.60Ghz / 2MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB
* Socket 939 / Hyper Transport / Dual-Core (with fan)
* Tiger direct Price = $1199.99

Memory

* Crucial Dual Channel DDR 2048MB (2GB) / PC3200
* 400MHz
* Tiger direct Price = $269.99 (x2 4G)

Harddrive

* Western Digital Caviar SE 16 / 400GB
* 7200 RPM / 16MB Cache / SATA-150
* Tiger direct Price = $310.99

Videocard

* ATI Radeon X1900 XT / 512MB GDDR3 / PCI Express
* Dual DVI / VIVO /
* Tiger direct Price = $715.99

Soundcard

* Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
* Tiger direct Price = $512.99

Sound system

* Creative Inspire 7800 7.1
* Future shop Price = $149.99

Backup Drive

* Western Digital 250GB / 7200 RPM / 8MB
* USB 2.0 / External Hard drive
* Tiger direct Price = $256.99

CD/DVD Writer

* Plextor PX-716A SW / DVD-R DL Write Speed – 6x
* DVD+R Write Speed – 16x
* DVD+RW Rewrite Speed – 8x
* DVD-R Write Speed – 16x
* DVD-RW Rewrite Speed – 4x
* CD Write Speed – 48x
* CD Rewrite Speed – 24x
* Tiger direct Price = $161.99

CD Rom

* Liteon 52x Biege
* Tiger direct Price = $22.99

Case

* Cooler Master CM Stacker / ATX Full Tower
* 12 5.25” Drive Bays / Front USB
* Tiger direct Price = $215.99

Keyboard

* Logitech diNova Media Desktop / Laser Bluetooth
* Mouse and Media Pad / Wireless Setup
* Tiger direct Price = $182.99

Monitor

* Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1” LCD
* Dell.com Price = $439.20 (x2 dual monitor)

Powersupply

* Xion 600 Watt / SATA Ready / SLI Ready
* Tiger direct Price = $148.99

Final Price of System = $5619.26

No, but with some luck, should have enough within 4 or 5 months.

B, you might want to shop around. I just bought the X1900 XT for $450.00. I also just picked up a second Logitech diNovo Laser for $125.00.

Discounts and coupons help. But some of the components are over priced.

These prices are most likley not going to be what I will pay for, I just got these from Tigerdirect, since I probably wont be getting this for alittle bit. I know, I'm definitly shopping around.

That should be a sweet system for sure, I hope you post some benchmarks from that bad boy :)

Is there a set purpose for the machine, seems pretty high-end to me.

Looks awesome, but do you need the Elite-Pro X-Fi? Its really overkill for anything besides quasi studio setups. For gaming its not needed, for music listening its overkill and for movies its overkill. You could save a good 400$ if you just dropped that down to the base model. Unless of course you need the Elite-Pro. :)

Also, you might consider waiting till the AM2 socket comes out. If only for the purpose of not shooting yourself in the foot upgrade wise. Performance at first will be close (nobody is sure yet) but you wont cut off any upgrade paths down the road. Since the new socket isnt affecting any of the chipsets, that same mobo will be available in AM2 as well when its released.

Just food for thought.

with the kind of money you're looking at, just buy the most expensive crap you can. Apparently you haven't looked at price-to-perfomance specs at all. That may be a kick ass system, but you'd be way over paying for a slight improvement over a system 1/4 of the cost.

As stated before, these prices are from Tigerdirect.ca, I am most likely not going to be paying these prices. Also, I will hopefully be gett this system within 2 or 3 months. So the motherboard and cpu might change, I don't know.

I didn't know the elite-pro card was not important changes, thanks I should change that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back