will this work...

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
will this work with any standard hard drive from the store like a regualr ata/133 internal drive. sorry for the stupid question but i had to make sure before i send out my payment and buy a drive. thanks in advance.

it's just a HD enclosure for any existing internal HDs you may have and want to use it as an external one.
it says that it supports upto ATA133 so I can't see what problems you may have apart from the fact that this particular item you're looking at is for Firewire (IEEE1394) connection. Do you have any Firewire ports available to connect this to?

Looks ok. I found one article. You will not be able to use this case with HD over 128 gig unless they are Maxtor. The chipset on the firewire does not support them accoring to the article.

The company that makes them is British and looks legit.

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/WD180GB/

Advertisements I saw said it supports up to 300 gig but they were advertisements...

damn, if thats true then im lucky becasue i almost bnought a 160gb western digital at best buy for $90.guess ill just use a 120gb then. thanks a lot for the replies so quickly.

Check out the usb 2.0 enclosures. They looked less expensive, but will also be slower.

so this will sit fine in the enclosure right? i just want to make sure or my dad will get pissed.
im getting firewire because it is faster.
just a question tho, can a Mac read a drive that formated in NTFS? so my brother can use it.

Depends on the Mac I guess, if it's running OSX I guess it could since normal *nix can, but if it's an older Mac I really doubt it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back