will this mobo support this drive size...

mikill

_
it's an MSI KT6V-LSR mobo and the drive is a Samsung 160GB(SP1604N) model.

tia

The MB will support any hard drive size. The question is will the version of windows support it.

To access drive space over 120 gig for Windows XP you need service pack SP1 or latter. If you aren't running XP I'm not sure which of the service packs are required for 2000, 98, ME etc.

Well, how old is that MB, first off? If the mobo supports 48-bit LBA, then it will support that drive. Otherwise, there's two limitations to keep in mind:

1) If it's a PII-era mobo, it probably is limited to 36 GB.
2) If it's about 3 or more years old, it's probably limited to 137 GB.

Check for BIOS upgrades too, because sometimes 48-bit LBA support can be added by the manufacturer.

Additionally, of course, there's Windows XP support. You need at least SP1 to support drives larger than 137 GB. Of course, SP2 is ideal for other reasons, especially for security purposes. If you're running Windows 2000, I think you need, at least, SP4.

Melon

KT6 means kt600 which is a new chipset, the board is not a limitation and neither is the bios.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back