Will I loose everything If I do this?

G

gmagnuson

If I follow these steps to convert my hard drive to NTFS, Will it format my hard drive, and I will lose everything on it? Thanks!

FAT/FAT32 versus NTFS
Q. I installed Windows XP, but did not know whether to use FAT, FAT32 or NTFS. I chose FAT32. Was this correct?

A. FAT, FAT32 and NTFS are hard drive formats. FAT32 is an evolutionary development of the File Allocation Table, a system that goes back to DOS. The New Technology File System (NTFS) was developed for Windows NT. Microsoft recommends that you use NTFS, which it says is more fault tolerant and has better security.

If you are already using FAT or FAT32, you can convert to NTFS. Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>> Command Prompt. At the command prompt, type:

convert C: /fs:ntfs

That assumes your hard drive is C:. If it is not, substitute the correct letter. During the conversion process, you will be asked for a volume name. Press Enter.

This conversion process also applies to Windows 2000.

No you will not lose any data.

This question seems to be getting asked a lot lately around here.

and it will take a hell of a lot of defragmenting to put it all straight after converting :)

Originally posted by GoNz0
and it will take a hell of a lot of defragmenting to put it all straight after converting :)

ok, Thanks. I wil Let it run all night:cool:

Look on ntfs.com - its a site that tells you all the pro's and con's of NTFS and FAT32, so you can make the judgement yourself.

Don't they say that it is better to do a fresh format to NTFS than it is to convert from FAT32 to NTFS? thought i heard that somewhere, but not exactly sure.

formats always better than a convert. as this guy will find out, it could take 20-30 defrags to sort out if theres a lot of info on there.

formats always better than a convert. as this guy will find out, it could take 20-30 defrags to sort out if theres a lot of info on there.

Hmm. I have 30/60GB filled. So Is it really worth it?

i would say so, go get diskeeper free (google) as that will sort the mess out in a few hours.

about the defragging. it's not a case of leaving it on all night, it's more a case of remember to do it once a day for a week at least to let the files get back to the front of the disk. the convert is kind alike throwing all your files in a bag, converting and letting a blind man put em back LOL

still worth it though, the file security is great, NO MORE SCAN DISK if you crash ;)

ok.. I know that defraging takes forever on my machine. I mainley want more stability, and better performance. After my computer has been on for 5 or so days, it becomes a littile laggy, and bogged down. Will this help that? or is there something else I need to do? My computer will only let me use about half of the programs I can-when I first start it up-after a few days of my computer being on.

Just use Partition Magic 8, saves a whole heap of grief. Be aware to back up prior.

nah mine does that after a few days m8, things dont start, things just stop, run outa memory cus things forget to free up ram etc. running a game free's up the memory for me, but once msn spacs out and wont start, i have to reboot. you want it to last weeks, install 2000 pro ;)

Hmm. I have 30/60GB filled. So Is it really worth it?
No. You might end up with 512b clusters (FAT 32's preffered) instead of XP's NTFS preffered 4K. If you do end up with 512b clusters your computer will be sluggish and always be getting fragmented.

Well one day before I was here I converted to ntfs and it was really slow at first, I was just about to prepare to reinstall on FAT32 but then suddenly it speeded up!

But atfer what I got atfer I fixed the damage from a bad boot screen which was a slow and crashy system because I thought a repair would fix it. When I tinkered from the recovery console, The regular bootscreen came up but it started repair! I reformatted and started from scratch with FAT32

Hmmm. I heard the good side, and the bad... Now What???? I have not done anything yet, but now I am not so sure....

Honestly. I ALWAYS do NTFS. Every system I use. I'd use Partition Magic if you aren't sure of yourself.

igo get diskeeper free (google) as that will sort the mess out in a few hours.

Ok, I guess I decided to go for it, I could not find this program GoNz0 was talking about for free. I am hoping I get much greater system performance & stability.

Doesn't Partition magic have a trial edition or something. If so, you could give that a whirl.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back