Will 3rd-party MSN Messenger Software have Webcam support?

Alex_is_Axel

.:: FTPAlex ::.
Goodafternoon everyone,

I was just wondering if any 3rd Party MSN Messenger software like Trillian, GAIM and programs like that would have Webcam support ever? Will it be possible? The reason being is that i use MSN Messenger alot but i want a new software for it which is recourse friendly but it would need to have webcam support for MSN Messenger

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help and time :)

Alex :cool:

Probably not if Microsoft have their way (the web-cam feature being an incentive to use the official client) however with that said, if they had their own way, there would be no 3rd-party clients at all.. so I guess it's just a matter of time. People are constantly hacking away at the MSN protocol etc.

Personally I can't wait for a nice multi-platform client that supports web-cam capabilities, so I can finally video chat with Windows users (which I can do now via ICQ/AiM/iChat, but most people seem to use MSNM.)

SPeedY_B said:
Probably not if Microsoft have their way (the web-cam feature being an incentive to use the official client) however with that said, if they had their own way, there would be no 3rd-party clients at all.. so I guess it's just a matter of time. People are constantly hacking away at the MSN protocol etc.

Personally I can't wait for a nice multi-platform client that supports web-cam capabilities, so I can finally video chat with Windows users (which I can do now via ICQ/AiM/iChat, but most people seem to use MSNM.)

Yea i know what you mean :(. Its just ive been watching the production of these 3rd party software, keeping tabs on what gets updated and they never seem to touch the webcam protocol :(

On another note. What is AIM webcaming like? Is it fast and smooth? Obviously depending on internet connection, would you say its more of a direct link from one pc to another?
Ive heard in places that MSN Messenger webcam streams to a server first :huh: but it might just be a rumour.
I know that sometimes MSN Messenger webcam can be slow and othertimes can be quick, im just trying to find a fast way of webcam communication but i use MSN messenger alot :p

Thanx :)

Yeah it's nice and smooth, obviously dependant on line-speed as you say.
Keep in mind that 640x480 @ 30fps requires around 13mb/s .. now put that into perspective of the video being sent and received, that's a lot of bandwidth, not to mention the audio (if you use it) on top of that :D

Obviously most people use 320x240 at the most for video chat, but it just gives a rough idea :)

lol yea.. one the odd days when i just video chat for a whole day on MSN Messenger with someone, i download about 700MB's of data! in a day just from that chat which is just video and text

:p

I know this is also a MS product but why not just use windows messenger (the one that is built in) it uses less resources..

Because it doesn't support many of the features in MSNM6 :)

(edit) beaten to it, but yeah, it doesn't have a lot of things, a simple example would be the "avatars" or user images, which I know a lot of people like to use.

is that video for MSN Messenger?

Windows Messenger is still under the '5' edition.. not 6 :(

From what i've read, gaim-vv aims to provide voice and video chat for AIM/iChat, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

it's still in alpha stages, but it's something to watch out for in the future.

Alex_is_Axel said:
but that doesnt have webcam support like MSN 6/6.2 does it?
yes it does i consider all the other things frills simple chat and webcam support is all i need.
Attached image

Last edited:
drz01 said:
yes it does i consider all the other things frills simple chat and webcam support is all i need.
Attached image

are you able to give us an example of the video conferencing in use?.. does it come up as a netmeeting window?

Alex

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back