wifi repeater help

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
my sister needs a repeater to get her desktop upstairs on brodband from her downstairs wireless router

any suggestions?

Are you sure she needs a repeater just within the house itself? What router is she using?
I have a Netgear MR814v2 802.11b router and I'm able to get a full 11mbit connection both upstairs and downstairs. You might want to try repositioning the router or tinkering with the orientation of the antennae a bit.

ya, she needs a repeater I think...brick walls and all that...I can't even go from the den to the kitchen, about 20 feet from the router

I didn't look at the router though, and I'll try repositioning, but her husband is ****, and he's got a whole cubby built for it, and I'm not gonna be able to move it...maybe the antenae are down, I'll take a look

I'm gonna check when I get there tonight...I'll bring my laptop up there and see where I do get a signal, if at all.

I'll also check out what I can do as far as netryder's suggestions

A list of trouble makers between the wifi station and the computer:

-Metal ducting.
-Mirrors (silvered back blocks the signal) - my big problem, huge bathroom mirror between computer room and rest of house.
-Portable phones (try changing wifi and phone channels)
-Major appliances. motors create interference and metal housings block signal.
-Make sure the computer case is not between the base station and the antenna. I think you can get antenna extension cables to move it if you have to.

In the mean time I got bored so went surfing:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=267

Kinda pricey at $45 ( http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/ or http://www.pctekonline.com/ ) considering I just got a netgear wireless G routers for $20 bucks after rebates. I'd run a cable from my main computer setup to somewhere centrally loacted and hook up another router there configured as an access point and set to another channel. The "B" extenders are $29.

Hmmm... and thus the solution to my giant mirror blocking my wifi signals. Where'd I put that Cat 5 wire?

"High gain antennas" are available too but not sure they're worth the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back