Wierd graphics problem

versionfiv

OSNN Addict
In windows, or anything for that matter, my screen gets amazingly screwed up. I have a screenshot of it here
It's like this now too, as I write this thread, its very annoying. I have never had this problem before, and hadn't done anything out of the ordinary to cause it. My system specs are as follows..

Pentium 4 2Ghz
Tyan Trinity 501 mobo
Radeon 9700pro 128mb
Windows XP Pro SP1
(And all drivers are up to date)

That's probably all you need for graphics corruption.
If you don't see anything wierd in the linked screenshot, then, there are four blue stripes going down my screen and little blue pixels everywhere.

You could try a forum search. I saw a similar if not identicle problem. Only thing is that it was a few months ago. :eek:
Don't know if they found a fix or not.

Could it be that DirectX9 is the problem? Has this problem occured with older DirectX's?

Well that looks weird. :) When did it start? Had you installed anything new (DX9, drivers)?

Things to try:
- Take out the graphics card and put it back in.
- Reinstall/update graphics drivers.
- Uninstall DX9.

Yeah this does look like something that would happed as a result of over clocking.

Originally posted by NegativeFactor
Yeah this does look like something that would happed as a result of over clocking.

I am with the last 2 posts...

have you previously oc'd your card? or your rig?

the corruption seems to be a result of some damage...

let us know... also do what zedric said and also try using the vid card in another computer and see if the same 'garbage' occurs...

Well, I haven't tweaked my card at all, and I hadn't installed anything previous to the corruption. It doesn't happen constantly, because it is not happening right now. I installed dx9 a few weeks ago and I haven't had this problem until yesterday.

I am 110% sure that is a toasted vid card (I know cuz it's happened to me 3 times over the course of the years)

The symptom is always the same, and it is what you are experiencing, posted in your screen shot.

Whether its a result of OC'ing or not is beyond me, when it happened to me, it was random, as I don't OC, case is cool, no power surges etc, bla bla bla

Anyway, if it's under a year old, try to have the manufacturer replace it for you.

Ah, alright. I'm not getting the problem anymore, but if it happens again I'll mail it back. Thanks very much.

Ok it's been happening again, and ati told me to go pick up a new power supply. I dont know if I'm going to do that or not, since I am still looking for the reciept of where I got the card from.

A new PSU? Nah, I hardly think so. How big is your current one? (I get the feeling people more and more blame anything on the PSU.) But just to be sure, check your voltages. Are they very low? If they are OK, then it's not the PSU.

I'm voting for the card. Or the AGP socket connection being glitchy.

Originally posted by Zedric
A new PSU? Nah, I hardly think so. How big is your current one? (I get the feeling people more and more blame anything on the PSU.) But just to be sure, check your voltages. Are they very low? If they are OK, then it's not the PSU.

I'm voting for the card. Or the AGP socket connection being glitchy.

well ati does recommend at least 300W though smaller psu's should handle it..

try the card in someone elses system... if it works fine it is your rig someplace... else if the card shows corruption again well... that means boom you have a bad card :)

First I assumed he had at least 300-350W, but then I asked just to make sure. :)

And as we all know, 300W doesn't always mean 300W if it's a cheap brand...

I have a 350watt psu that I picked up at compusa when I got my case. The corruption went away for unknown reasons, even though it seems to come back for a few days every month its still annoying enough to replace it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back