Widescreen 19"

sindustrial777

OSNN Addict
I'm in the market for a 19" monitor between $300-400. I saw some widescreen monitors for 19" but after reading some mixed reviews I was just wondering if anyone out there has a 19" widescreen and if its anygood for gaming. I understand some people found the resolution a bit odd so if anyone has a solid opinion on the topic it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

i just got the Gateway 21" HD Widescreen LCD display a couple days ago. still feels kinda odd going from a 17" lcd to this. cost $599 + tax at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, and Circuit City..... or $599 with free shipping directly from gateway.

In my experience so far.... it's quite good for gaming. all it really seems to do is give you a slightly wider angle of view, nothing drastic. they're also great for DVD movies and stuff like that. which monitors exactly were you looking at? everyone seems to rave about Dell's 2005FPW and 2405FPW.

edit: here's the post in my "lookin at monitors" thread, showing a before and after shot with my old 17" and my new 21" widescreen. really gives you a good picture of exactly how much of a difference there is in size. think 21" widescreens are basically a 19" monitor, widened out a tad. not stretched or anything (like one person in Guru3D's forums said....... saying that widescreen monitors are stretched, basically making 2x1 pixels instead of normal 1x1 pixels. god was he an idiot). could link you to that thread too if you wanna get quite a laugh out of it.

http://forum.osnn.net/showpost.php?p=705656&postcount=26

If your budget is $300-$400, get the Dell 2005FPW.

I did a quick Froogle search, found a few for just under 400..

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_url?q=http://www.legendmicro.com/referrer_page.asp%3Freferrer_ID%3D23%26Product_ID%3D3260&fr=AGmP6J25hhHdSt1ZP3kgqkGVSHV2zKJBFS248DDWq18wnXfSKsuZWAYAAAAAAAAAAA&hl=en

You can probably find one a little cheaper - maybe watching the bargain sites or on eBay. This will be a great purchase compared to a 19", since you get 1600x1200 vs 1280x1024, and these monitors have gotten great reviews on gaming as well :)

I just got my Dell 2005FPW, and it is fantastic!!! As soon as I can I am getting one for my wife!!!

kcnychief, i.... don't remember 20" WIDESCREENS getting 1600x1200. think you're thinking of a standard 20" monitor. believe that the highest resolution it'll get is 1680x1050, the same that mine gets.

ElementalDragon said:
kcnychief, i.... don't remember 20" WIDESCREENS getting 1600x1200. think you're thinking of a standard 20" monitor. believe that the highest resolution it'll get is 1680x1050, the same that mine gets.
Yeah - you are right, mah bad.

Still better for the budget though than a 19 incher :)

wow i didnt know if i could get that 2005FPW for my budget, I do love the look of that thing, Thanks a lot guys i'll check it out. I may just wait for a bit and get some more cash for the 20".

EDIT: Reading more about the 2005FPW it talks about Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture. Can this possibly be used by having the RBG connected device on one side of the screen and DVI on the other? Or is it just used for seperate apps?

Last edited:
Not to sure about the Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture - but if your budget is $300-$400 as you originally stated, it can be had.

2005FPW is 1680x1050.

They don't make 19" widescreen displays.

The PIP and PBP you can do these combos: DVI/Composite, DVI/S-Video, D-Sub/Composite or D-Sub/S-Video, and I believe you can do Composite/S-Video. Either way you can have 4 separate Video inputs, Portrait mode which is cool if you do a lot word processing or even internet use. Right now I have my PC connected with DVI, (Yu get more options this way), my third PC through the D-Sub, (15-pin connector), and I did have my PS2 hooked up through the composite, (it actually wasn't that bad, I need to get the S-Video cable to really see the difference.)

on my monitor, i believe i can set it to have Component video as the PiP/PbP, and hooked up to my PC via DVI. i say that i "believe" i can, because i don't have anything to connect to my computer with component cables.

I use an ACER 1913w WIDESCREEN 19" inch monitor that uses a 1440x900 resolution that I bought on sale brand new for $275. Very cheap, couldnt resist. Maybe you could fund a deal too. I bought mine from cheapguys.com. Seems to work very nice for the games.

I think the 2005FPW is a good way to go for me because I was thinking about using the monitor with my xbox 360 (when i get one :lick: )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back