Wi-Fi Network problem driving me nuts!

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK - hope there may be some help, I had everything working fine for about 60 days uptime after putting in my EDiMax router and similar wi-fi - basic settup is main wired machine Xp Pro 2800 AMD - the old 1900 AMD moved out with XP Home and an antique PII with Win 98 SE still hanging in on the network - all fine and dandy.

Then the wi-fi bits lost all connectivity - plus when I looked at them the connections/drivers seemed to have vanished! Now there are other users of these bits of course, but no one owned up to anything as bad as that... turns out tonight after trying to put things to rights I have seen it can disappear itself - it did it to me! Seems good old Micrsfot is trying to hard to manage the netwrok...

Anyway long story needs cutting short - I am managing to access forum pn the PII believe it or not - got that sorted! The XP Home (whoch was working when I started in on the PII) is now offline! I have got my SSID's straight (after remembering my mixed case setting!) and the connection shows with good signal.... when I try to repair it I get "following steps failed: Renewing the IP address, Purging the DNS resolver cache" Now actually I do conceptually know what those are - they should not be relevant to this client machine? Am I right - have I stayed up to late trying to fix this?

If anyone can just give a nudge it would be oh so appreciated - but no rush... I've stayed up too late already!

sometimes there's a confict with the windows wireless service and the cards driver

usually restarting the router will fix the problem, till it happens again...sometimes you need to recycle the modem also

disable the wireless zero configuration, see if that keeps it from happening

perris said:
sometimes there's a confict with the windows wireless service and the cards driver

usually restarting the router will fix the problem, till it happens again...sometimes you need to recycle the modem also

disable the wireless zero configuration, see if that keeps it from happening
I should have mentioned - It's a DSL Modem Router - so I guess that's 2 for the price of one if powercycle that one! AS for the cards - the "client" machines are both USB 1 with dongles - it was oh so much easier that way so the only NIC card is in the wired machine (that's another story).

Hope the extra info sheds light for others to help - I'll power down my router now and see.... BTW What's wireless zero config.? Not a term I'm aware of...

AHHHhhhh shucks - done the power cycle and no joy, also changed chanel to match that of the successful valiant old PII I am typing on - still no joy... Symptoms remain the same - but this is more of an IE issue than networking I suspect - DNS cache, ISP, surely... esp as the tray has good connection and signal strength showing... even shows packets sent (though needless to say receive is zero - that's the problem- not getting through to the wide world on the Modem in the router)

bump

bumping this thread - whole issue driving me bannanas, now! Quite prepared to start from scratch as I've done so much fiddling with the network I'm not sure where I'm starting from. Going to search for any tutorial type threads - I guess KoRn was right and my expertise must be what's making this fail... It just drives me nuts that it seems to temperamental, surely I should be able to get it right then it should stay right!

Anyway - can;t see how to delete the network connection - that option is always greyed out even if I disable it... do I just make another new one to try to start from scratch? I did manage to assign it an IP address - then on a repair it's only problem was the "unable to purge DNS cache" one - does that enable any one to point me at solution?

Incase anyone suggests it, I really don't fancy running the network wizard across all the machines again (not much good for the Win98 one anyway) because it always goes setting up a Bridge and stuff (presumably because machines have modems in too, though I'm on broadband)...

So like I said - any help or suggestions gratefully received
[EDIT] disabled network and managed an "ipconfig /flushdns" but now connection will not even connect, never mind repair! ARRGGGgg [EDIT]

in run, paste;

services.msc

hit enter, scroll down to wireless zero configuration

disable that...but of course you're going to need the drivers...go to ms update with the hardware installed, see if the site spots the drivers that are missing

you also should go to the site directly to see if there are any newer drivers rthat aren't signed...try this too

confused (again)

this totally threw me - because I have no networking I am not online - so cannot go anywhere until I fix it!

I see the service you mean - usually go there from the admin tools menu... I think - you didn't mean for me to do that on the main machine wired to the router? Cannot see how that would be at all relevant since that machine (XP pro) is fine and networking with "oldie" (Win98SE) OK - just been downloading loads of updates there while I can get 'em.

SO - presently attempting system restore on trouble machine (XP home) to see if I can get my networking back with that! Or do you think that will not work?

silly me...I should have realized you couldn't get on line to get your drivers...dohhh

system restore should work, but you'll probably run into the issue again even if it does work, so you'll want to go to customer support if it gets you on line...they'll hopefully tell you what to look for if it happens again

sorry I couldn't help

hey thanks anyway - living and learning

perris said:
that should work, but you'll probably run into the issue again even if it does work, so you'll want to go to customer support if it gets yopu on line...they'll hopefully tell you what to look for if it happens again

sorry I couldn't help

well that did work and it's not really like you didn't help.

So - your suspicion is that it is a driver issue with my wifi that is causing these hiccups? Just want to get that straight, although I'll probably stick with a system restore if I cannot get any update. I did have it once where is seemed to have lost the connection completely and that mystified me - cannot be driver related surely?

Anyway - I'm up and running on the Xp home and now the teenagers can be let loose for their assignments without touching my sacred 2800+ box - just gotta get hijackthis on here for when they get that spyware back in again!

thanks again :)

no, I meant the system restor should work, I didn't think dissabling the service would solve your driver issue

do the restore, if it works, you can always undo the restore, once you know how to fix the issue from customer support

keep me posted, I've seen this issue come up alot lately, so I'd like to know how yours gets fixed when it does

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back