Why...

L

Leo154

do i get choppy frame rate when i switch to 32-bit?? In all my games.. I wanna play UT2k3 on 32 bit graphics:

P4 1.8
128DDR
GeForce 2 Ti 32MB DDR
ATA 66 HDD

Can you pinpoint the problem.. coz I'm thinking of buying an extra 128DDR... Or is it coz the graphics card is only 32MB???

id say it's a bit of both, i have a GeForce 2 here, but i have 512mb of Ram, i can't run most things in 32-bit without some slowdown.

I say definitly get more ram. At least 128mb more. Then start worying about your graphics card.

i don't think more system memory will fix your 32-bit performance problem, but it will definitely help overall system performance. if you're buying memory, i'd go ahead and get 256mb and have 384 total. 256 total is kind of on the low end if you're playing games like ut2k3 and such. battlefield 1942 uses at least 512mb.

the 32-bit slowdown is simply a matter of your video card's gpu... it's not up to the task. either overclock to see a little result or get a new card with more muscle.

32-bit vs. 16-bit is just twice as much work. That simple.

Games like UT2003 push the capabilities of even the latest cards. You are almost 3 generations behind. It will work, but there will have to trade offs, as you've noticed. For maximum thrust you have to spend the cash on a newer card.

Originally posted by Leo154
do i get choppy frame rate when i switch to 32-bit?? In all my games.. I wanna play UT2k3 on 32 bit graphics:

P4 1.8
128DDR
GeForce 2 Ti 32MB DDR
ATA 66 HDD

Can you pinpoint the problem.. coz I'm thinking of buying an extra 128DDR... Or is it coz the graphics card is only 32MB???

a combo.. basically the textures on ut2k3 use a lot of onboard ram (on video card)...

depending on the resolution you are playing you may be either maxing out or highly stressing out your video card... ut2k3 is not know to have the best coding lol... run it @ what it works @ or upgrade to a 128mb card in the near future...

basically @ the mo... when I play maxed @ 1600x1200 with EVERYTHING on... I am using up around 80odd mb of onboard memory... out of 128mb... just to give you an idea... memory usage is less for less res... but 32bit takes up more space than 16bit... hence why I was saying use low res for ut2k3... it IS optimized for nvidia cards... lol... so it should work decent @ some balance point of res/features on your rig... but that 128mb ddr is certainly NOT helping matters... this game loves to use resources... buy 256 more if you are buying more ram... 128more not really worth it...

UT2003 runs nicely here 16-bit / 1024x768
(1ghz+512mb+32mbGeForce 2)
Obviously its not a patch on a Radeon 9700 but it runs adequately enough to play :)

More RAM, and a better graphics card is the solution to your problem.

you can play in 32bit mode by un-checking many options like shadows, bobbing gun...etc besides the res. make it 800x600

Shadows are cool! Bobbing guns make me dizzy...:p

Originally posted by Leo154

P4 1.8
128DDR
GeForce 2 Ti 32MB DDR
ATA 66 HDD

i have a P4 1.6. i used to have 1 GB of PC2100 DDR RAM and a GeForce3 Ti200 (64MB). trying to play UT2K3 in 32 bit mode was almost impossible unless i was using 640x480, and even then, it was still choppy.

i got a new motherboard, kept the same processor, kept the same video card, and switched to 1.5 GB of PC2700 DDR RAM. WOW what a difference that made. i dunno if it was the difference in mobo's (went from ASUS P4B to VIA P4PB400), but the extra and faster RAM seemed to help a lot. i still can't run 32 bit @ 1600x1200, but i can do it at 1024x768 without too many issues.

personally, i think anything less than 512 MB of RAM for UT2K3 isn't gonna cut it, because it is a pretty system memory intensive application as well as being a graphics card memory intensive application.

Re: Re: Why...

Originally posted by jawshoouh
i have a P4 1.6. i used to have 1 GB of PC2100 DDR RAM and a GeForce3 Ti200 (64MB). trying to play UT2K3 in 32 bit mode was almost impossible unless i was using 640x480, and even then, it was still choppy.

i got a new motherboard, kept the same processor, kept the same video card, and switched to 1.5 GB of PC2700 DDR RAM. WOW what a difference that made. i dunno if it was the difference in mobo's (went from ASUS P4B to VIA P4PB400), but the extra and faster RAM seemed to help a lot. i still can't run 32 bit @ 1600x1200, but i can do it at 1024x768 without too many issues.

personally, i think anything less than 512 MB of RAM for UT2K3 isn't gonna cut it, because it is a pretty system memory intensive application as well as being a graphics card memory intensive application.

what about FPS?how many do you get?
with 1.5G+256MB ram and G-force 2MX 400 I get 20 FPS therefore I swiched to 16bit mode it gives me 40-50 FPS

Re: Re: Re: Why...

Originally posted by Octopus
what about FPS?how many do you get?
with 1.5G+256MB ram and G-force 2MX 400 I get 20 FPS therefore I swiched to 16bit mode it gives me 40-50 FPS

i dunno, i never measured it. what's the command line for it? online game play seems to be smooth enough, it's the slow servers that slow me down, not my configuration, or so it seems...

i play ut2k3 (altho its an extremely boring game now) at 1024x768 res @ 32bit colour

i got a p3 750mhz, 384mb ram and hercules gf2mx 32mb agp with no overclock... i think some ppl need to tweak their pcs better :rolleyes:

So how is your PC tweaked then, I had UT2k3 on my PC, but it played kinda badly on my 1GHz, 256MB RAM and GF2 Ti, so I havent got it on no more.
Upgrade will be happening in the next few days hopefully last component (mobo kinda important) will arrive tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back