Why was the forum search disabled?

D

Deszaras

I use this on about every visit. Was it a big strain on the servers or something?

I get a message that the admin has disabled the function.

well, we're deciding if it was that much of a strain.

sometimes what looks like a strain, is actually not.

what if each of the view new posts, say for arguments sake there are 10 requests from the server.

well, it's possible that me using this, prevents me from making five completely differant calls to the server...so those 10 additional calls actually could save say 50completely other calls to the server...

i don't know, I'm just speculating, and holding my breath

Server Load:

Last reboot: Upgrade to Linux 2.4.14
9:27pm up 87 days, 8:00, 1 user, load average: 3.22, 4.88, 13.64

I have had to disable it again, until we are sure we know what the problem is!

Originally posted by dealer
well, we're deciding if it was that much of a strain.

sometimes what looks like a strain, is actually not.

what if each of the view new posts, say for arguments sake there are 10 requests from the server.

well, it's possible that me using this, prevents me from making five completely differant calls to the server...so those 10 additional calls actually could save say 50completely other calls to the server...

i don't know, I'm just speculating, and holding my breath

Huh?

Basically, what dealer is saying is :

Many forum regulars prefer to use the "View New Posts" link situated in teh top left corner on the main page. This will display any unread posts - an incredibly nice feature.

If you use this feature rather than manually browsing the forums, you will have to search thru less pages and therefore the number of queries on the database will be reduced, thus reducing the server load.

Sadly, when searching is disabled this feature will not work. If this feature is causing the problems then the feature is sadly being abused, we are working on it tho.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back