Why some people hate Intel

Elektro Slime

Harware Guru
-----------------------------------
Why everyone hates Intel (part1)

recently i couldn't help but notice the flood of intel user converting to AMDism. I don't blame them, after the prescott and the now not so recent release of their LGA 775 pinless garbage, intel become a no man's land of sorts for us enthusiasts.

a few months ago the people at intel had a huge grin on their faces, they were about to release their new baby into the world, the Prescott. When asked why the need for a new core, Intel responded by saying it would allow for higher clockspeeds up to the 6Ghz mark, as you all know clock speed alone has been intel's only real stratrgy for its products (HT IMO is just a cheap marketing scam it offers only minimal performance boost). AMD was also into increasing just clockspeeds for its range of Athlon XP processors, but they soon realised that wasnt enough, a more efficient architecture is what they needed and soon a more efficient architecture is what they had. Now a 1.8GHz AMD could beat a 2.8GHz Pentium 4, so what did intel do to respond? keep on increasing clock speed ofcourse!

So what's wrong with the Prescott you may ask? Well ill tell you. But first a little intro on the core.

The prescott is a new core using 90nm process and straind silicon which offers less resistance to electron movements. The prescott operates at the same old 800mhz bus and comes withe twice the cache.

So whats the problem? The answer to that lies in the pipeline stages, the prescott has 31 pipelines compared to 20 of the northwood, all these mean is that data has to travel further to reach its destination, this makes the presott slower then the northwood at the same speeds.

Why the need for more pipeline stages? Well, initially Intel planned on increasing the clockspeed of the prescott up to 5 or 6GHz. ATM you can find presotts from 2.8GHz-3.8Ghz. Also id like to add that the prescotts will only show their true colour
1. with a stock clock speed of 3.6ghz
2. with >1gb of RAM, this will help fill up the extra pipelines.

Recently intel axed plans for the 4ghz P4, saying theyll max at 3.8Ghz. The reason for this is the heat generated by these chips. A 2.8GHz gives out more heat then a 3.4ghz northwood.

Why everyone hates Intel (part2)

Im sure most of you have heard of the new socket by now, the LGA 775 uses a new type of socket, that is the mobo socket has the pins instead of on the processor, all 775 of them. The processor has 775 lands (im not exactly sure what they are called. dimples?). IMO this was an unnecassary and foolish move by intel, the 478 was bad enough and now pinless procs?!!!!!

Whats the reason you may ask? Well i personally believe it's just one more of intel's tricks to stop people from running their procs out spec ( that is overclocking the procs to you and I).

How do you overclock with the pins?
No, you cant really oc with em, but there are a few mods you could do, like:
1) the wire mod: this involves placing a fine wire on a select few of the pins this allows you run more voltage to the proc.
2) on my old 1.6Ghz duron, by soldering to pins together i was able to unlock the cache from 128k to 256k. (FYI durons are nothing but athlons with decreased cache and fsb) . to tell you the truth i wasn't the one who unlocked it,was the guy at the local comp store so i really dont know that much.

Another minus for the LGA 775 for enthusiasts is the lack of any pci-e lock on it, so running things out of spec can cause trouble like loss of sata or constant reboot. But then again, i see many people with nicely oced rigs so i suppose the mobo manufacturers probably have found a workaround.
TO BE CONTINUED...
ok guys here is part 2, i know its kinda short but im really busy with school and all. I'll start Part 3 in a few days. BTW im sure there must be a dozen spelling and gramatical errors so please excuse as im in a rush.............So anyways i would like to hear your comments about the LGA, do you have one? do you plan on getting one? i wanna hear your views and opinions. And as always any comments, corrections or suggestions will be welcomed............until next time........keep KOOL! :D :)

I like AMD cause i just done i just never liked Intel not sure why i just do.

I don't hate Intel, but have used AMD since I first started building my own machine. Only reason for this was pricing. AMD was cheaper before AthlonXP/64 and Intel P4 came on to the market.

Back to the topic.
Why are so many people moving to AMD rather that sticking to Intel CPUs?? Easy, AMD processors run more effieciently than Intel's P4. An AMD process running at 2.0GHz is equivalent to an Intel P4 running at around 3.2GHz.

If you compare £$$ for power between the AMD and Intel, you'd probably see that Intel P4's are not value for money. See it from an Intel user's point of view, you're paying much more money to run a 3.2GHz processor which is only equivalent to an AMD 2.2GHz.

As you mentioned.. AMD 1.8GHz outrun an Intel 2.8GHz, and Intel's response was to increase processor speed.
Intel has not thought about the efficiency of their CPUs for the P4 range. It's probably the worse performing processors they've ever made, but they don't care as long as they get huge revenues from customers. :p

They have, however, got themselves back on track by using the Dothan core for desktop machines. This would probably overtake AMD in tests, but it'll also cost you an arm and a leg to get one of these babies...

Call me an AMD fan... I'll never allow a P4 in my house. :p
Pentium M are welcome though. ;)

no i think it will be better to waita while for the pentiun M, maybe after it gets HT, higher bus and most importantly cheaper! the cheapest mobile is about $260 and the mobo is like to $250. i wud buy if the cpu was about $200 and the mobo $100.

I'll leave the first generation of PM's on desktops. My next upgrade will be an AMD64 this xmas... :)

One thing I've heard little about is the P4EE. It's meant to make people forget what an AMD is, but it seems that the P4EE doesn't make much of a punch. lol

amd is better because first of all it has a cpu built specially for windows xp which makes everything more reliable and secure as it could transfer data more securely and preven crashes, they already went ahead of intel a started the new generation of 64bit editions, which allows streaming of bigger data and will thus give you better quality on videos on and stuff, and most important of all the pins they use are gold pins which is the fastest conductor.... coorect me if im wrong please

Actually, as Fishboy stated, AMD's new processors are 64-bits. However, what's made it popular is the fact that they also fully support 32-bit applications. This is a stepping stone for us users to dip our toe in the 64-bit range, while having full knowledge that we can revert back to our well-known 32-bit applications if we are not fully ready for 64-bit computing.

Intel are now following AMD's lead. :)

i don't hate intel, i just prefer amd. i always pull for the underdog. ;)

Can someone correct me if im wrong but at some point im sure i was told by a lecturer that silver is actually more efficient a conductor - but is not used due to the tarnishing problems which then reduce the conductors effciency?

In my opinion if someone could seal the pin slots effectively we could use silver and not worry about this problem! and save some money too!

I don't hate Intel. My notebook is a P4, the desktop at home is a P3, my dad's notebook is a Pentium-M. In fact, I have never owned an AMD system ever, but that's not because I hate AMD either. It's just how it worked out, I guess.
Hating any company is just silly - sometimes one is on top, sometimes another is. You just pick what you feel works best for you.

all the interconnects in a CPU are copper.... they used to be Aluminum, but that changed in the P3 >1 GHz coppermine

ming said:
Actually, as Fishboy stated, AMD's new processors are 64-bits. However, what's made it popular is the fact that they also fully support 32-bit applications. This is a stepping stone for us users to dip our toe in the 64-bit range, while having full knowledge that we can revert back to our well-known 32-bit applications if we are not fully ready for 64-bit computing.

Intel are now following AMD's lead. :)
well all new technology stuff are supposed to be backward compatible, well not exactly all the new amd wont support a windows 3.1 OS but mostly they are backware compatible, but i wouldn't install the new xp 64 bit edition coz you might have problems with other apps since they are 32-bit apps

but intel is starting to catch back up with amd, but still amd is better :D

Abbadon2001 said:
Can someone correct me if im wrong but at some point im sure i was told by a lecturer that silver is actually more efficient a conductor - but is not used due to the tarnishing problems which then reduce the conductors effciency?

In my opinion if someone could seal the pin slots effectively we could use silver and not worry about this problem! and save some money too!
no i dont think so, 24k gold is the fastest conductor, copper is not bad either but gold is faster, that's why monster cables are 24k gold tip... there corrected :p

umm guys.......i know the title says 'hate intel' but thats not what this thread is about...............im just trying to explain the weak points of intel's products compared to that of amd and what they can do to improve........... and BTW ive only used an AMD once on my ole 1.6Ghz duron (unlocked to athlon), been an intel fanboy most my life....
Also says someone is buying a pc today, what would you recommend as a mid range rig?
1. 3.0e (478) with agp 8x graphics
2. 3.0e (775) with pci-e graphics
3. amd 3200+ (745) agp 8x

Gold is used as it will not tarnish.

I have a 775 3.4ghz and it is plenty fast, it takes longer for teh HDD's to spin up than it actually does to start.

I like both, but I use Intel only at work and other critical areas. AMD stilll hasen't mastered teh burn up of CPU. I have a 2200+ at home to prove it. Where my personal PC 2.8 Prescott has been to well over it's operating specs and still runs like a champ. I didn't plug my fans back in. The heatsink was so hot that I was burned by touching it.

And this is my point, both have their place and their value. It just depends on what you do want to do.

24k gold is the fastest conductor, copper is not bad either but gold is faster, that's why monster cables are 24k gold tip...
silver's the best conductor, gold doesn't oxidize...thus gold plating

I got started on AMD because I was not interested in "Paying for a Name"...I didn't want Intel Inside, I wanted the best bang for my buck inside. Now when I build a computer for "The Seeting Masses" of people that have little puter background I try my best to talk them into an AMD quoting speed comparisons, price, and reliability ratios I can usually talk them into an amd(especially when I say they can get 2x the memory with the money they save), but still there are the people that want their Intel Inside computers. Of course I still sell it to them, it is theirs when they get it home in the end, but you just cannot reason with some people.

Now if I could just get them to stop downloading spyware crap and ruining my beautiful creations I would be happy....though out the tech support $$

Take Care,
Mike

perris said:
silver's the best conductor, gold doesn't oxidize...thus gold plating
oh yea right that's new to hear i thought gold was the fastest for some reason.. so silver is the best but gold is better coz it doesnt tarnish

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back