Why some people hate Intel

wind3d said:
I hear people saying Intel hasnt thought of this, they didn't think about "that"...For example, someone was saying Intel didnt think about anything other than boosting their clockspeed. The truth is, when it comes to Intels CPU engineers, momma aint raise no fool....They know exactly what's going on, and when. They've just got particular goals that they aim to fulfill. To the average consumer, if they had a choice, they'de choose a P4 3.4 over an AMD 2.2 any day of the week...even though that CPU is technically...200Mhz faster? It appears to me, that they are marketing torwards the average consumer now. Probably a good idea. There are certainly a lot more people that have no idea what they're talking about, than there is that do. It may not appear that way, but you see, the internet is an electronic haven for all of us enthusiasts. I am willing to bet that Intel is in the works of reverting it's targeted consumer-base, if not just mixing it up a little, giving everyone a little of what they want. Because it's extremely obvious that AMD is currently in the lead. Intel don't be liking that... The reason AMD is seemingly preferred over Intel, is simple...AMD is more bang for your buck, and AMD is most likely the one you want to be running, regardless of what you're doing.
Cheers

no... momma ain't raised no fool... but momma sure as hell gone and raised an overconfident brat...

intel has some of the best engineers and fabs and tech out there... and yet they were blinded by the light so to speak...

clock speed is not the be all end all of products... I am not sure the average person realises how difficult it is to convince someone that a pentium M processor is generally a faster product than a pentium 4 processor for notebooks simply because most people are too dumb to realise that when intel says MHz is king... it doesn't actually mean it...

people buy AMD for 2 reasons... bang for buck and the fact that in every general consumer price segment as well as overall in many server/small business segments... AMD owns intel's cute little tushy right now...

I just like Intel. I won't be buying a super high end PC for a long time for a couple reasons, 1) 64-bit is not used by anything besides servers right now, 2) My 2.53GHz P4 is fast enough for anything I use it for.

I use an AMD 3000+ at work and it is slow compared to my P4 2.53, noticeably. I have 1GB of RAM though and my work PC has 512MB. It still shouldnt make that much difference.

I still think that the P4C line of processors is way better than the AMD XP counterparts. Last time I checked a 3.0C was about $200 and a 3000+ Barton was about $180. $20 isn't really a huge difference.

I just don't see the need for 550 FPS in Quake and spending over $400 on a processor.

j79zlr said:
I just like Intel. I won't be buying a super high end PC for a long time for a couple reasons, 1) 64-bit is not used by anything besides servers right now, 2) My 2.53GHz P4 is fast enough for anything I use it for.

I use an AMD 3000+ at work and it is slow compared to my P4 2.53, noticeably. I have 1GB of RAM though and my work PC has 512MB. It still shouldnt make that much difference.

I still think that the P4C line of processors is way better than the AMD XP counterparts. Last time I checked a 3.0C was about $200 and a 3000+ Barton was about $180. $20 isn't really a huge difference.

I just don't see the need for 550 FPS in Quake and spending over $400 on a processor.

if you want a proper compare... the ranking would go a64's > P4C's > AXP and P4B's > P4's > *.*

for mobile solutions both the a64 solutions and the pentium M solutions are equally good though I am partial to the pentium M by virtue of the fact I own one :cool:

wow........i thought this thread was dying.
thanx to ya'll for keepin it alive. ;)

Personally I agree with Sazar, Intel does have some of the best engineers but their strategy is( now its 'was') all wrong.

Im sure we are gonna see some good products from intel in the near future, probably after the death of the dreaded prescott...

What was Intels 4th quarter like? Who's to say they don't have the right strategy, people that want them to do something else? What's the ratio of people who want them to do something else, to people that have no clue whats going on? About 1:1,000
I am sure they're making a pretty penny. Do you really think a billion dollar company would not know what they are doing? Truth is, all we can do is speculate. I still stand behind the fact they know exactly what's going on, but am open to other peoples views and opinions.

wind3d... I work @ dell... my brother works @ dell... my sister-in-law's uncle works in r&d @ intel... I think I might have an inkling about whats going on :cool:

intel will always rake in money because they just make so many products... look @ the sheer number of patents they have...

heck even if they don't sell any products themselves... people using their tech are going to be giving them royalties for licensing rights to use their tech or a variation...

also I generally like to think the people on this and other boards are well educated in terms of tech and related items... I frankly don't give a damn about the 1:1000 ratios because that doesn't apply to me...

intel HAS to do something else... it has been playing catch up since the first a64's came out and their price/performance discrepency on the server side is costing them market share...

there is only so long you can dangle the "massive price discount" carrot in front of OEM's and system builders before they demand something else...

AMD themselves have been far too timid in pushing the initative... probably a case of once bitten, twice shy... had they been more aggresive, intel's market share would have eroded more than it has done so already...

the fact intel has a lot of money and clever engineers means nothing...

strategies are generally discussed from a cost POV by a bunch of execs w/o much engineering background and decisions made there trickle down through to us eventually...

is intel going to go under?

hell no... nvidia fudged up their nv3x line-up royally and are the better for it now... intel has WAY more money and clout than nvidia ever did or hopes to have in the near future...

I like intel and its products... this doesn't change the fact they grossly miscalculated on the GHz pen0s they were stroking vigorously... as well as under-estimated amd's product or the success it would have... especially on the workstation/server market...

from a company perspective... intel is the better of the two... from a cpu perspective... amd has intel by the balls right now...

perris said:
aol comes to mind

:D

I would think you meant Time Warner :D

AOL knew exactly what they were doing when they basically sodomized Time Warner into accepting the most ridiculous deal i have ever seen on bogus numbers and fudged projections...

was absolutely brilliant case of greed getting the best of time warner...

FishBoy said:
amd is better because first of all it has a cpu built specially for windows xp which makes everything more reliable and secure as it could transfer data more securely and preven crashes, they already went ahead of intel a started the new generation of 64bit editions, which allows streaming of bigger data and will thus give you better quality on videos on and stuff, and most important of all the pins they use are gold pins which is the fastest conductor.... coorect me if im wrong please

With 64 bit comes a side effect, any standard data container created in memory will be twice as large if not compiled as a 32 bit app, so that it takes up 32 bits instead of 64 bits.

Int on 64 bits CPU's take up twice the space as on 32 bits. This caused quite a problem in some software which did bit shifting as part of its operation to convert base 64 to ascii. So in the code we added that we wanted uint32 instead of uint64, and now all works well again.

X-Istence

perris said:
makes sense j79, but I was thinking "long mode" on amd64 would give access to 64 bit registers, but also more general purpose registers, plus other things that'll help well compiled code.

I would have also thought the benefits to the paged and nonpaged pools. for instance, With 48 TB of virtual address space, limits disappear.

I would think that would help multi taksing...surely data base servers, but I would have thought multi tasking as well

An AMD 64 is able to accomplish more in one clock cycle, or so i have heard. It will help databases along, with the fact that now they can easily do mathematical comparisms, as they now have 64 bits to play with instead of 32. Since anything in a DB is relation, and somehow relates to each other, and has to be sorted and whatnot, it helps tremoundously, the higher limit also means less storage restrictions.

HT does not really help multithreading, as it is still one CPU doing the work. But it lets the OS pump more stuff to the CPU for it to then do, but it still does the same amount of work, only with less latency. A clock cycle is a clock cycle, unless you have two cores and don't share anything in between them (real multy CPU setups), you will always have some latency, and not real time running between CPU's. Sure, you can get data to the CPU faster, because you are telling the mobo that it is supposed to treat it like two CPU's.

AMD 64 will still run faster, you can push 64 bits to a intel HT CPU, and the first 32 bits get processed on the "first" cpu, and then the second 32 bits get processed on the "second" cpu. Whereas on the AMD 64 it is 64 bits at a time, without the latency because of sharing the same resources.

HT might seem effective, but in the long run all it is going to do is complicate matters, and chip design.

Disclaimer: I don't hate intel. I use the best tool for the job.

Oh, also, sorry about the replies, could not be arsed to put it all in one reply. Shoot me if you want.

[QUOTE Im sure we are gonna see some good products from intel in the near future, probably after the death of the dreaded prescott...[/QUOTE]

I have prescott!!! Long Live the Prescott!!!!!!!!

Well, I don't hate intel, I just prefer AMD as I always root for cheaper processors but with better speed.

I'm going over to the darkside this christmas though, as my dad has managed to get a cheap PC through work.. it means I upgrade my old XP 2100 model with a GFX5200 to a Pentium 4200 and a ATI model.. In fact I went over to the dark side twice. Grrr :D

Taggert_LOA u forgot the ] after the [Quote :D

well yeah presscotts are good........but what i meant was their heat issues and also the FACT that a prescott is slower at similar clock speed compared to a northwood.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back