Why isn't Wireless-N being picked up?

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
My new XPS M1330 came equipped with an Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN wireless card. I ordered a Linksys WAP4400N to go hand-and-hand with it. My notebook is connecting using Wireless-G. I currently have the wireless mode set to G/N mixed because my TiVo connects using Wireless-G.

What am I doing wrong?

maybe the wireless card in your lappy has something that has to be configured for it to use wireless N?

Wireless N is still not standardized. That means every manufacturers version may be different. Intel WIFI "N" NIC may not be compatible with Linksys "N" Router. Check the Linksys and Intel sites first for compatibility.

Work on the 802.11n standard dates back to 2004. Publication is currently expected in March 2009[4], but major manufacturers are now releasing 'pre-N', 'draft n' or 'MIMO-based' products based on early specs.

Try forcing the router and the laptop to default to "N".

maybe the wireless card in your lappy has something that has to be configured for it to use wireless N?

It is already set to use Wireless-N if available.

Wireless N is still not standardized. That means every manufacturers version may be different. Intel WIFI "N" NIC may not be compatible with Linksys "N" Router. Check the Linksys and Intel sites first for compatibility.

I didn't think of that. I will look into that.

it might not be standardized, but i highly doubt that means every manufacturer is releasing a completely different style of the connection.

using a screwdriver, open the SMALLER square door on the back of your laptop (the larger door covers the processor and dimms) and just check are the 3 wires (black, white, grey) connected to the card, and are they connected to the right connectors (you'll see the black, white and grey arrows on the card itself).

hope this helps ;)

using a screwdriver, open the SMALLER square door on the back of your laptop (the larger door covers the processor and dimms) and just check are the 3 wires (black, white, grey) connected to the card, and are they connected to the right connectors (you'll see the black, white and grey arrows on the card itself).

hope this helps ;)

That does help and that appears to be it. There is no wire going to the middle connector (what appears to be gray) but none of the extra wires are long enough to reach the connector (the WWAN slot/card is in the same bay).

Could it be your Tivo slowing down the network? I thought a network with any older devices slows down the whole network to perform as such? Such as any b devices on the same network as a g device will slow down to b?

Psyborg is right. Only two of the three antennas are connected. The third wire is no where to be found. Already contacted Dell.

Not sure. Left a voicemail for him. He works nights (2:00 AM on).

You are supposed to wet you finger and then slide it between the the unconnected wire and the contact point.

..... pretty sure madmatt knows better than to try that.....

any chance you could take a pic of the wires/missing wires in question and upload it so we can see? just kinda curious.

Sure thing. I will post photos of the WAN card and antenna wires later today.

mmm gotta love those chinese manufactured laptops. Amazing how a 5c piece of wire screws up your day huh?

How much is that 5c piece of wire gonna cost dell now?

Im not dissing your computer ... Im dissing dell for offloading their reputation on China ..along with their customer support being offloaded in India.

That wire missing actually is enough for me not to buy dell stuff.

Remember the days when Dell would correct a mistake no matter what? If they failed to send something ...or even sent the wrong thing ..they would often fedex a replacement after a few minutes of speaking with someone in Austin ..and worry about fixing it when they recieved the faulty stuff.

Anyway ... I do hope they fix your stuff pronto ... ill be watching for your comments on what they do.

It wasn't manufactured in China. Malaysia =\

Anyway, photos coming of the WAN card. The new unit is in production.

Yeah, if it was built in China the wire would be there, but it would have razor sharp edges and lead based paint, and toxic chemical food additives...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back