Why is my F: Partition Giving me trouble ?

S

Shalow

Ok. here is my problem. I am awaiting an enlighting eye on this one...

I have a freshly partitioned slave hard disk. It is empty, and somehow, windows is running software on it and does not let me format it. It has nothing to do with the system, and I have to go throught the command dos prompt and dismount it first. Any ideas fellas ?

My C: D: and E: partitions are ok. No problems there. Well, C: doesn't format either, but that's normal, considering the system is on there.

How do I unprotect/dismount definetly the F: Drive ?

PS: F: Partition is a 120 gb NTFS partition with 4k cluster Size. It is on a IDE 1 Slave drive (as opposed to a master drive where c, d and e are on).

Welcome Shalow. :)

Just guessing here but is the drive set up as a slave on the back connectors?

Yes, my drive is setup as slave... NOT cable select...

hummm... You think the problems lies there ?

Some drives have got " slave /master with slave / and master as well as Cable etc.

This ain't cable problems, the drive shows up in Windows.

Try this:
- Go into disk management
- De-assign the drive letter of F: (remove the drive letter).
- Format
- Re-assign the drive letter.

Hopefully it will work. If not, tell us where it fails.

I did that before posting...

Didn't do any good... As soon as I reassign the letter, the same stuff happens again...

Instead of trying to format from within windows boot using the xp cd & follow the screens to where you can format the drive in there. See if that does it.

I noticed something weird about my WinXP.

Whenever I try to reboot, my winxp checks with "chkdsk" the F: partition. It does this at EVERY reboot.

Which means that the OS is mounting the drive, then scanning it at every startup. Which may generate the problem. Any tips ?

try disconnecting CD drives if you have. then start XP. then boot from DOS using win9x startup disk and do the formatting there or use partitionMagic. after partitioning, reconnect the drives

Why in the first place do you want to format a newly partitioned and formatted empty drive again? OK that chkdsk at startup indicates that there is something wrong.
How did you create this partition? You are sure there is nothing on that drive? Especially not the bootfiles or the pagefile?

You can partition and format the drive from the recovery console using the diskpart and format commands. Would prefer this over a Win 98 bootdisk because you are not limited to FAT32 file system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back