Why is google so good ?

delta4s

BLACK HAWK ALOFT
# Over four billion Web pages, each an average of 10KB, all fully indexed.
# Up to 2,000 PCs in a cluster.
# Over 30 clusters.
# 104 interface languages including Klingon and Tagalog.
# One petabyte of data in a cluster -- so much that hard disk error rates of 10-15 begin to be a real issue.
# Sustained transfer rates of 2Gbps in a cluster.
# An expectation that two machines will fail every day in each of the larger clusters.
# No complete system failure since February 2000.

And it is all hidden behind a deceptively simple, white, Web page that contains a single one-line text box and a button that says Google Search.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/0,39023769,39168647,00.htm

perris said:
hard to beleive
Not really, they don't use Windows Server 2003 after-all.

Seriously though, I fail to see why that's hard to believe.

Ah yes, I'd forgot about the pigeons, heh. They keep everything running smoothly. :D

Pigeons are google's solution redundancy. :D

Google was giving out some sweet T-shirts at the career fair last month.
The front has the Google logo, and the back just has the gray button that says 'I'm Feeling Lucky' :D

# No complete system failure since February 2000
perris said:
hard to beleive
You need to think of the word "Complete". Probably means that part of the system has failed at one time or another.

The other thing is... I find that yahoo comes up with better results for some of the stuff I searched for.

Google is the best hands down. The guys running the show just know what they are doing and they do it well. Oh and the page index numbers are off as they recently doubled do to some improvements in google engine or something.
Searching 8,058,044,651 web pages

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back