Why is everyone so sad as to try and shut down Peer 2 Peer Programs!!

Alex_is_Axel

.:: FTPAlex ::.
I would just like to say a couple of things which i would like to get off my chest.
Why are people so sad as to try and shut down Peer 2 Peer programs??? What is the point in it! They were made for a reason to use them and use them shall be! I like many other users have a Peer 2 Peer program which i sometimes use but closing them down would only lead to more hacking.. am i right?
I think im right in saying that but what do you all think? Do you think Peer 2 Peer programs should be banished from all Internet Sources or would you like them to stay

Have your say

Thanx

Sincerly Alex :(

Im not saying that i dont know other ways on getting software.. i also join FTP's but for people who only know the basics for Internet use and use Peer 2 Peer programs its a little unfair on them constantly closing down all the time for instance Napster

I don't think Peer 2 Peer is going to be shut down anytime soon... It's to popular and easy to use for the mainstream public... ;)

Cos they are a haven for illegal files and virii ?

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
I like many other users have a Peer 2 Peer program which i sometimes use but closing them down would only lead to more hacking.. am i right?
Well, I don't exactly see how it would encourage hacking... and I do see all kinds of reasons to shut them down. Mainly the illegality (if that's a word) of it all. And I do use p2p clients. I like them as well. But once they're gone, there's always the "actual internet" to search within for whatever your heart desires. Getting files from all kinds of random places would be nearly impossible to stop. So blah.

Right now,all of the P2P programs out are
being made by companies(Kazaa,Morpheus,etc)
Whens an open-source P2P program gonna be released?The government will have a hard time shutting that down.

the only people who want p2p shut down are the record companies, they dont give a damn about the music, all they care about is the money, they say that they are loosing money because of p2p programs, they are not making money because the release shit house music

Originally posted by catch23
I think you're wrong...I think if that's the only way you can find anything then you're lame...

I couldent agree more

It won't be shut down...people are just going to be screwed over when the FBI shows up at their door. You'd think the mainstream public would be smart enough to stop using software to carry out illegal downloads when the government starts looking closly at them.

do you really think the FBI cares about us ? a final user?

they care about the GROUPS that carry them the FBI is not even involved on P2p as far as i know the only stupid ones trying to close it are the record companies (or RIA) but the FBI has more important things to care about than just "joe lame got warez of a p2p lets go to hes house and waste money tryiong to figure out who he is" come on be real you don't really think that do you?

I agree that the FBI is after the Groups/Distros/Dumps etc but those are big and those are the ones that they want, think about it this way, you got a joint on your pocket, they are not gona go to your house and arrest you because of it, they are trying to get the source it has allways been like that it iwll allways be like this.

just my 2 cents :D

A: these p2p programs cause excessive bandwidth usage, bandwidth costs money, and excessive usage from these p2p programs cause the internet to get bogged down even more than what it already it is.

I get a kick out of n00bs on the net, first thing they do is look for warez, movies, mp3s etc. They barely know how to turn their PC on. They should learn how to format before they get the warez stuff, chances are they'll get a virus within their first week of being online.

p2p apps can never be fully stopped. the record companies are scrambling to shut as many of them down as possible, but it's a lost cause.

there are literally hundreds of p2p proggies out there - some in different countries. the laws concerning p2p apps here in the united states are different from those in say germany, or japan. i believe that if the p2p networks that are located in the u.s. are shut down, people will simply use p2p proggies in other countries - then those copyright infringement laws do not apply.

currrently the fbi is focusing much of it's attention on the prevention of terrorist acts and the apphrension of terrorists. i do not believe that they'll waste time, resources and part of their budget to track down users of p2p apps. it would be like trying to drain an ocean by dumping the water one cup at a time.

if peeps are so interested in warez, mp3s, etc., why not check out the newsgroups... :)

Originally posted by koko
p2p apps can never be fully stopped. the record companies are scrambling to shut as many of them down as possible, but it's a lost cause.

there are literally hundreds of p2p proggies out there - some in different countries. the laws concerning p2p apps here in the united states are different from those in say germany, or japan. i believe that if the p2p networks that are located in the u.s. are shut down, people will simply use p2p proggies in other countries - then those copyright infringement laws do not apply.

currrently the fbi is focusing much of it's attention on the prevention of terrorist acts and the apphrension of terrorists. i do not believe that they'll waste time, resources and part of their budget to track down users of p2p apps. it would be like trying to drain an ocean by dumping the water one cup at a time.

if peeps are so interested in warez, mp3s, etc., why not check out the newsgroups... :)
how do you join a newsgroup to get mp3's and software?

veronica
how do you join a newsgroup to get mp3's and software?
You don't, because it's illegal.
Feel free to discuss this sort of thing else where, just not here, we do not condone piracy/warez in any way on these forums.

Some of you just don't get it. If the government is serious about shutting down P2P, it can certainly do it, whether they start attacking end users at the beheast of the RIAA (a powerful corporate interest group) or they start banning it at the ISP level. If nations like China can ban websites left and right, what is to stop the U.S. or any nation from doing the same thing? Right now? It is court wrangling, but they are slowly working their way to my scenario.

The "frontier" of the Internet is dying, and, in it's place, will be the corporate-friendly version, where all we are are controlled commercial masses. Goodbye P2P and welcome DRM!

Melon

and one thing that i read was the fast track network was created by a few guys then it was licensed to kazaa morpheus grokster and imesh but i read they are in talks of finding new ways to use the network and could potetially shut it down as they have the rights of the whole network technology. as it is encrypted (not File Transfer) people cant make new programs that run on it as it is a closed network.

and p2p is good its just a world of unusual stuff
and i agree with newbies downloading stuff as they dont know the security risks with p2p and that there are sum turd burlgars that will cause havoc (as with most things).

They will be stopped...just as soon as the RIAA pays enough money to the government to pass a law eliminating our rights to convert our own audio CDs into a digital format....Software vendors can't do anything about it...

Ha, catch23 came back?

Christ! Why was this thread brought back to life then?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back