why is american football called football?

Sazar

Rest In Peace
just wanted to find out why american football is called football and why everyone wants to call TRUE football soccer...

it will be interesting to find out how many people really know why american football has the word FOOTBALL in it... :)

no peeking... no cheating... if you are posting just post whether you knew or not... :)

yes... I have known the answer for ages... but I still get truly annoyed when people refer to TRUE football as soccer and offer no reasoning :)

I just follow the masses, I like confusing people that think your talking about american football, when your not!! :D or vise-versa!!

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
I still play with a stuffed pigs bladder.
This is a family site. We don't allow talk of that kind. Consider this a warning, pervert! :p

this is silly...this is obvious...I don't even want to answer, but I guess I have to, since no one else recognizes the obvious.

football is called football, because every player has at least one foot...there is also at least one ball in every single game...thus;
FOOT, (the players all have at least one)...BALL, every game has at least one ball.

now the real question is why is soccer NOT called football...

now, to find the answer to this question, we just need to look again at the obvious;

in soccer, every single player needs BOTH HIS FEET....thus, the sport wood be called FEET, (more then one foot is feet), ball.

and no one wants to play in a sport called feetball, so they came up with the word soccer.

this word is a compromise, as it is not SOCKS, which you would wear on two feet, but it is SOCK, (of course, the Europeans dropped the useless k in the spelling of SOCK, (soc), and I have no difficulty with this liberty, as it is their sport to name.

and so, a compromise with the true sport, football

there

dealer no wonder you are a writer - your explanation is:
- perfectly clear
- makes perfect sense
- and is almost perfect bull$hit!:D
BTW - LMAO!;)

my head is spinning....i have absolutly no idea why american football is called so.now rugby thas a man's sport.....;)

I suppose I will have to tell those 6 of you who voted as to the negative WHY it is called football... tune in tomorrow and all will be revealed... :)

btw dealer was close...

:D

in an alternate universe...

ok, all kidding aside...I beleive I remember that the original game was played with no passing allowed.

I thought the question was facetious, and now I see you were serious

the true football has been and will be soccer, why they call it soccer though? american football is not football, why? because they might hit the ball with a foot once a game maybe? how's that make game a FOOTball.

in soccer u play whole game with your feet, only goaly can use hands to catch the ball. that's the FOOTball because you play with your legs

Originally posted by brummie
And 'Why do Americans have a WORLD series with only them in it'?

this is also true, only america is playing that dumb baseball ****, and they play world series when no one else in the world is playing

please keep topic to what it was originally...

I don't care about why the world series is called such... thats not my problem...

AND THE ANSWER IS

well... here it is...

the REASON american football has the word FOOT BALL is just that... the ball is a foot long...

nothing more or less complicated :)

seems nutty but thats the answer...

as to why football itself is called soccer... I dunno... never made any sense to me... I always call it football or footy...

hope this will help some of you out there sleep better :)

you're kidding!!

I do not believe it.

Is there proof of that?

heh... its the obvious answer... the ball is a foot long m8...

:)

if I can find info on the web I will post it... not right now but soon as I can.. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back