Why Does Firefox do this ?

VLT

OSNN Junior Addict
If you use one firefox.exe process, and multitask inside it using the tabbed browsing etc ... over a few hrs look what it racked up.

FTW.jpg

Any ideas, anyone suffer this too ? :suprised:

That's really weird, I do crazy amounts of tabbed multitasking, and I never find it using that much...hmm

I used to get that a lot and had to stop using firefox but since I started using an updated version it's been fine.
*places hand on head* touch wood :laugh:

Yea what version do you have, cause I have no such problems with that.

it is the famous / infamous Ffox memory leak - there have been a lot of them and they did fix a lot in the recent update - check the Ffox main thread - think I may have even posted there (or was it a comment on the news?) Because I checked the change log and saw they plugged at least three memory leaks....

By the way once Ffox starts on one of those memory leaks it will not stop and you have to terminate it as a process and restart.

[EDIT] I checked - it was in the recent news item where I commented, check if you have that version[/EDIT]

Firefox has always had a memory leak of some kind or other.

That and pure speed is why I have stayed with IE.

With IE 7, I haven't felt a need to go back to firefox.

Yes, but not even one gets these memory leaks, and sooner or later they will be fixed.

Mine just peaked at about 112 MB. When minimized it sits at 3MB or less.

100+mb scares the poop outta me.

Why does it use that much memory?

I have a coupla hundred dedicated to my F@H and I think probably another 100 or so for all my ati apps/media and what not.

IE uses about 40MB or so and then there's azureus which, when on, uses about 40-50MB or thereabouts.

Btw VLT, that backweb.exe app? What the heck is it? Is it a virus?

firefox is a broken browser - the sooner the dev team and the fanboys admit that the sooner it can be a great browser. The trouble is the web's gone the otherway. Instead of coding only for IE it seems to be coding only for firefox so its just as bad whichever way you look at it :D

Each browser has it's problems, internet alone has problems of course. Any browser is better then IE, firefox will be fixed and better soon. Hopefully

Sazar said:
IE uses about 40MB or so and then there's azureus which, when on, uses about 40-50MB or thereabouts.

Hey Sazar, ever consider using uTorrent? Uses a heck of a lot less memory (mine is running at <7MB in memory right now.. even adding memory used by PeerGuardian, any time I use a torrent it uses <10Mb of memory..

LordOfLA said:
firefox is a broken browser - the sooner the dev team and the fanboys admit that the sooner it can be a great browser. The trouble is the web's gone the otherway. Instead of coding only for IE it seems to be coding only for firefox so its just as bad whichever way you look at it :D

I don't like feeding the trolls, but there's no such thing as "coding for firefox"

Unless of course you mean using web standards, also known as coding for every modern browser.

Hey all,
thanks heaps for all your responses

I make sure im always uptodate with FF, so i currently have 1.5.0.2
And this version gave me 1gb of memory loss ahaha ... (fixed memory leaks ??)

I went to one of the link (Admiral Michael) posted
Entering " config.trim_on_minimize " as "True" on the FF config.
On minimise its "Memory Usage" reduces considerably, although the Virtual Memory and Peak Memory still are high, i will keep an eye on it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back