Why does Dell's XPS line think gamers are a joke?

Mastershakes

OSNN Veteran Addict
[H]ard|OCP tries to answer the question, with an excellent review of an XPS system, tweaked up (non default config, medium price range comp - around 1300USD)

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTI0

I've had some late nights flushing out Dells, and installing a fresh copy of XP Pro, and then tweaking. After, they always run amazingly well.

The default config of the software, is much bloatware, and the software bogs down the hardware.

My favorite part of the review is the tech support - for anybody that's ever dealt with them it is a frustrating, dishonest affair complete with abandoned calls, and false promises.

Dells can be managed. By default, they suck. :)

Not a suprise really any prepacked computer is going to be bloated , I like the way the dell's look in the office, we use Dell at work and thats the only place I would use it, we dont need their bloatware and by the time the garrentee is up we dont really care about the hardware.

heh the first thing we do with dell servers we get at work is erase the harddisks - they load 70mb of crud on them even though they ship os-less....

My experience with Dell support was amazing. Sorry, but not everything you read in the media is true ;)

Although I do agree about useless BS they load into XP.

It wasn't media unfortunately. It was an actual experience.

The best part, I thought was where they benchmarked it. It was extremely funny to see the default config Dell sent - with all the bloatware it scored lower than some P3s with mid range vid cards.

After streamlining it, wiping most of the bloat off - it scored at the same level as a normal, mid ranged PC ---- not exactly a gamer's PC now is it.

LOL

Grandmaster said:
My experience with Dell support was amazing. Sorry, but not everything you read in the media is true ;)

Although I do agree about useless BS they load into XP.

This is mainly what he was reffering too... and I got to agree, they do have great support, but load up Crap you just dont need...

for the $$$ the XPS systems are BAR NONE the best gaming system you can buy for a non-techie...

:D

mlakrid said:
for the $$$ the XPS systems are BAR NONE the best gaming system you can buy for a non-techie...:D

Good point mlakrid - and you get huge bang for buck once you get the crap off and tweak the f*&k out of it.

Mastershakes said:
Good point mlakrid - and you get huge bang for buck once you get the crap off and tweak the f*&k out of it.

LOL, well thats what I meant anyway.. LOL....

ONCE you get rid of the bloat....

Heh

I love my XPS 400. Reformatted, setup a full copy of XP Professional, and it runs great.

I agree that Dell's default build have alot of crap on them, thats why we image them where we work as well with a sensible win 200 or XP build.

Its generally OK though for business use though - just not the best system to start up wise in terms of home use.

Yes when I get the new computers I take one build a company image and then ghost over my ghost server, but I do like the ways the dell's look they are nice.

“My mouse pad is broken.”

Without mincing words: We had significant quality of use issues with this computer.

First and most obviously, we started having problems with our optical mouse. Sometimes it would wildly fly across the screen, other times we had trouble controlling it. Those of you who have ever tried to use an optical mouse on a shiny surface know what I’m talking about.

The reason why (and I can’t believe I’m typing this) was that the mouse pad that Dell provided was too shiny and reflective to be used with their own, branded, optical mouse.

Hehe, I had the same problem with the dumb dell mouse pad I have at work.

Mastershakes said:
[H]ard|OCP tries to answer the question, with an excellent review of an XPS system, tweaked up (non default config, medium price range comp - around 1300USD)

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTI0

I've had some late nights flushing out Dells, and installing a fresh copy of XP Pro, and then tweaking. After, they always run amazingly well.

The default config of the software, is much bloatware, and the software bogs down the hardware.

My favorite part of the review is the tech support - for anybody that's ever dealt with them it is a frustrating, dishonest affair complete with abandoned calls, and false promises.

Dells can be managed. By default, they suck. :)

I agree that there is too much bloatware. Personally I think that much like the optiplex desktops, the XPS line should not include anything like the crap that they do. I also agree that performance could perhaps be better but the XPS 200 and 400 items are multimedia products, not really gamer geared.

The XPS 600 is the gamers desktop. They all have their niche. Go to www.dell.com and click on GAMING. Guess what, only the XPS 600 and M170 show up. It couldn't be clearer. The entire XPS lineup is NOT a gamer lineup, previously only the flagship, gaming pc and notebook were part of the brand but now it has been diversified. XPS stands for better performance and support, the E series is an entertainment lineup and the B systems are just that, absolute basic.

I disagree with the tech support issues as well to an extent. The XPS tech support is state-side (or should be when you call in unless you call the regular number) and I am surprised that the tech support was not given a better overall rating. I have my own personal issues with tech support but I have used them 4 times and I have had 0 issues. The wait times could be better but you can purchase Express Tech support or Gold Tech support and be done with it.

Overall I have spent, personally, far less time dealing with issues with Dell Tech support than other companies so on a compartive basis, I have to say I am quite satisfied.

One thing I was disappointed with that was not touched upon (by an ENTHUSIAST website :cool: ) was the ease of use inside the case. So easy to add and remove items even in the btx cases, like HDD's. The special clips and the way everything is housed should have received some more mention.

Lastly, I agree with the mouse pad issues. But then again I use my personal mouse pad at work :cool: so I don't have to deal with it.

I have a Dell Comp but i didn't reformat or reinstall windows, i have deleted all unneccesary programs that came with comp, will there still be bloatware inhere if so what should i be looking for or is it better just to completely reformat and reinstall?

st4rk, your registry will likely be filled with left over entries from these programs. And you might have orphaned files in your WINDOWS directory (system32, etc.).

When buying OEM products I always recommend reformatting and starting fresh using the latest drives available from the manufacture's web site (not Dell's because they stop updating their version of the drivers shortly after the release of the hardware).

madmatt said:
When buying OEM products I always recommend reformatting and starting fresh using the latest drives available from the manufacture's web site (not Dell's because they stop updating their version of the drivers shortly after the release of the hardware).

Yeah what he said. :)

this is a perfect atricle for someone to read when they say. "" I WANT A DELL XPS"

At that time, perhaps.

The customer can choose to have the junk software installed or not for the past coupla months or so.

Ok so a registry clean and a driver update should do the trick relatively, done both but can't update my chipset, processor or hard drives drivers because cannot find the options of the respective website intel, maxtor and westen digital.

Also after reading that article i was wondering if it was at all possible to overclock a dell system as it said the bios doesnt allow it?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back