Why does Dell's XPS line think gamers are a joke?

Dell locks their systems down. You cannot overclock it.

It's probably why the buyer will not have a serviceable warranty if the system goes down.

I'll put my home built PC against any new Dell. It just performs better. We just bought a new business class Dell with a 3.0GHz Dual core, 1 Gig Ram, etc, its specs kill my P4 2.53, but my PC runs noticeably faster.

Build your own if you want quality control. I always buy the best power supplies, best cables, etc and I really think its the little things that get you overall better performance.

j79zlr said:
I'll put my home built PC against any new Dell. It just performs better. We just bought a new business class Dell with a 3.0GHz Dual core, 1 Gig Ram, etc, its specs kill my P4 2.53, but my PC runs noticeably faster.

Build your own if you want quality control. I always buy the best power supplies, best cables, etc and I really think its the little things that get you overall better performance.
I agree. My computer, i think costs less than an xps and its much better.
Even specs wise its better

So, does wiping the HD and installing a store bought XP void the warantee on a Dell?

As for the bloatware, it keeps the prices down and can be easily removed. A registry cleaner after the removal will get the garbage out of the registry.

Nothing in the review would discourage me except for the basic lack of an upgrade path (BTX case, 12V@18A, new XP if HD is too small). But then I learned not to buy "big name" brands in 1985 when I discovered my Compaq was "dead ended" by design (custom case, too small power supply, no drive upgrade path, etc). Hmmm, sounds like the same business model still works 20 years later.

Yea, I am not sure about Dell's but Gateway used to use their own form factor so if the power supply died you had to buy theirs. Same with the mobo.

As far as wiping the drive, usually you don't get an actual XP CD with OEM's, just a drive image. So you reinstall with all the bloatware. If you don't use their crapware or the OEM OS, then you are better off just building your own.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back