Why does computer keep coming on?

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
What can cause a computer to come on by itself. It is shut down, not hibernated or sleeping and it comes on during the night by itself. No pets or kids or others that are doing it.

I have Norton Internet security, and dial-up. I did notice that Norton has net detect set in task scheduler to check every four hours for a network, could that cause the computer that is shut down come back on?

I have been turning off the power strip to ensure the computer stays off.

Have you opened the task scheduler to alter the time period to see if that makes any difference.

You seem to have caught the opposite of the MBlaster worm.

Error: "This Computer will be turning on in one minute" LOL

Seriously, Should be the PSU.

Can't be software because the HD is not spinning and Windows is not loaded. The BIOS isn't even loaded.

Heeter

Last edited:
Probably wake on modem or wake on lan or something

maybe it senses you waking up from your sleep and it comes on automatically... who knows what did they develop in japan :D

I just hope the PC isn't becoming sentient.. make sure you keep something heavy to drop on it near at all times :D and if it announces itself as Shodan, run.

more seriously, I think its more likely to do with the power supply / some type of wake on device. Pretty bizarre though

Oh not much, EP. What are you up to?

Heeter

I think I found the culpret. In the properties of net detect in task scheduler, there is a setting to wake the computer to run net detect in the middle of the night.

wingman411 said:
I think I found the culpret. In the properties of net detect in task scheduler, there is a setting to wake the computer to run net detect in the middle of the night.

That means wake the computer from standby. No programs are causing this, windows would have to be loaded for a program to affect it.

I think its either the power supply or a wake on event (LAN, MODEM, ALARM).

if the computer is completely off when it powers on, then it can't be anything to do with windows or any other software. it's likely a bios seting of some kind. either it's set to power on when a keyboard and/or mouse button is pressed (bad idea if you have cats, trust me) or it's set to power on at a certain time of day (or night) which is actually a common feature nowadays.

poke around the bios.

I'm having the same problem after shutting down. Have turned off all the 'power-on by' settings in bios, and S1 (POS) whatever it's called.
Not sure what's causing this, but it doesn't seem to happen when I go to hibernate.

Dublex said:
I just hope the PC isn't becoming sentient.. make sure you keep something heavy to drop on it near at all times :D and if it announces itself as Shodan, run.

more seriously, I think its more likely to do with the power supply / some type of wake on device. Pretty bizarre though

ROFL. perhaps it's a baby Dalek.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back