Why do I need a "Router"

• Thread starter Cannibal Corpse
  • Start date
C

Cannibal Corpse

OK, now that I have got your attention, let me tell you I know what a Router is. (in a very basic form)

Since I am NOT going to install a second NIC in my primary PC (that one that is currently is connected to my ISP via DSL Modem), I want to get a Router, so I can have my secondary PC, and finally my Xbox (using the Live Kit) all connected to DSL line.

I am using RasPPPoE for connection to my ISP.

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

Questions:

1 – What is the best Router out there? (for the type of thing that I need, I don’t need super feature packed one)

2 – Can I connect my TWO PCs and Xbox and do not create a Firewall? (since whenever I enable any form of ICS, it automatically creates a firewall – I don’t need it, because my VoIP Blaster (a telephony device that allows me to talk to my friends overseas, reports that I am behind a firewall)

thanks!

i highly recommend one of these. i've been using it for over a year...non-stop...and it has performed flawlessly.

but, i think that netgear makes great routers too.

I too have been using the Linksys router for over a year and now the Linksys wireless router with no problems at all. Even one time used the wireless router just as the wireless access point behind the wired router.

The BEST router ?? well, if you want the best, i would go with cisco, and then maybe a DELL router, which they are not too bad, i had the chance to take a look at a few... but if you want the best router for the best price, well... i would lean towards the linksys models. Only downfall is that over a long period of time, the linksys router will get pretty warm, and may just stop working. You will have to shut it down and let it rest for a while before firing it back up. This is after a long time use, without shutting it down. There is not a fan on this router.

Linksys does support RAS, SingTel users

I think its buy.com that has a good deal on a linksys 4 port router atm

"Why do I need a "Router""

thats an easy one, if you have to ask that question then....you dont.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back