Why can't I host my site myself????

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Right now, I pay $30/year to No-IP to register a domain name and redirect the traffic to my own Apache server here in my home.

Is there someway to eliminate NO-IP from this mix? Namely, can I just have my apache server running and anyone who enters the domain will come straight to me instead of redirecting through No-IP?

Here in Canada, there is a federal government national database that registers domain names (yoursite.ca), but I still have to go through a Domain site to redirect the traffic to here.

Thanks,

Heeter

If you have a static IP address then your domain registrar should allow you to register atleast one nameserver on your domain with your static IP. From which point you will be able to host it yourself after a bit more configuration.

I can go into detail if you confirm you have a static IP.

Otherwise you will have to use no-ip.com to redireect to your dynamic ip.

Yeah, I do have a Static IP address, have had it for over a year now.

Thanks for the info,

Heeter

Get the domain and point it at some service that will do DNS for you, and the direct your A record at your own Ip addy.

Do note, this goes against most if not all ISP's AUP's as well as TOS's.

Yeah, I do have a Static IP address, have had it for over a year now.

Thanks for the info,

Heeter

Cool!.

If you have a linux/bsd box handy you need to setup named on it. Easiest way is to install webmin (http://www.webmin.com/) to configure named.

you will need to setup a zone for your domain. Then contact your domain registrar and create a nameserver for your domain and give it your static IP address.

Then create a virtual host in apache (can be done in webmin or manually as with named).

Give it a day or two and you should be serving your own content.

I can help out with further details if you run into issues.

I don't have any extra machines available right now, running my Apache and my email servers from a Win2003 machine right now.

But I don't understand, it seems to me that that is what I am doing right now.

Maybe the details is what is the difference, like you said. I'll try to score an extra machine for webmin on the weekend.

Heeter

if you have windows 2003 use the msdns service :) much easier :)

the rest is the same if you use apache - webmin is linux/unix only though...

The thing is you MUST make your pc a nameserver with the domain registrar. if you don't it wont work. You can't just host the domain on your pc and everything will work - the internet needs to know where to find your domain :)

Unlikely as thats a primary reason for getting a static IP.

I disagree, I had a static IP address back in NJ and it was against the AUP/TOS to host a server, hell port 80 inwards was even blocked!

Had a weird ISP then :)

ISP's over here advertise the fact you can host your own domain(s), websites and email as an advantage to one or more static IP's.

Had a weird ISP then :)

ISP's over here advertise the fact you can host your own domain(s), websites and email as an advantage to one or more static IP's.

OOL had static IP addresses to make it easier to work from home if you had their business account, since your IP did not change made it easier for administrators to punch holes in firewalls. My dad only got it since his company was paying for it.

I am looking over Shaw.ca's website (his ISP according to his IP) and they don't offer static IP addresses, on any of their plans, not even business. All of them dynamic, and his TOS specifically says he is not allowed to run any servers on his connection.

I find that really odd. It's not like you have a particulalry attractivr fixed line market over there unless you are a datacentre.

All the ISP's I've been with that offered static IP addressing said they would allow any type of server on static ip, though you had to justify unblocking port 25 since most MTA's will forward mail through a relay host.

USA ISP's are more restrictive than UK and Canada, always have been. They don't want the user doing something for free that they can charge for.

They are also stingy with assets. Bandwidth limits, static IP costs x6 what dynamic IP costs so they can get by with less circuits, etc. And until this recent price war started our price per mbps was x2 what yours was.

OOL had static IP addresses to make it easier to work from home if you had their business account, since your IP did not change made it easier for administrators to punch holes in firewalls. My dad only got it since his company was paying for it.

I am looking over Shaw.ca's website (his ISP according to his IP) and they don't offer static IP addresses, on any of their plans, not even business. All of them dynamic, and his TOS specifically says he is not allowed to run any servers on his connection.

Hi X,

The reason they don't advertise is because ip are all static, between the business/home accounts. I have had the same IP since january last year. Only difference is the how much bandwidth the modems let through, that is how much you pay for. All ports are wide open too, for every package that this ISP (shaw.ca) sells.

LoLA, Now I see what you mean. Being a DNS instead of just a domain. DOH! I gotta figure out how to setup my Win2003. Yahoo, thanks for the info, LoLA. Will need some more info/help in a bit.

Heeter

Last edited:
They are all dynamically handed out, it is just the way the DHCP server works that you get handed the same IP address each time. Here on Cox I have had the same IP for 3 months as well, does not mean that tomorrow it could not change.

All the ISP's I've been with that offered static IP addressing said they would allow any type of server on static ip, though you had to justify unblocking port 25 since most MTA's will forward mail through a relay host.

Same here, port 25 is the only one they are really worried about because of spamming. You just have to prove that your mail server isn't an open relay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back