Why *bangs head against desk*

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
does my router keep assigning a different IP. The mac address is for my computer. I have had this router for over a year and this is the first time this has done this.

What happens if I disable DHCP?

I am running the lastest firmware.

How would I go about assigning a Static IP outside the range of DCHP? <---- you are talking about setting it under Network Connections?

I have 3 connections set on this router. Why after a year will it start doing the ip shuffle? Which has never done this before.

Yep, turn of the router's DHCP server, and assign static IPs to each computer in the router's MAC addressing settings. Then set a static IP for each computer (corresponding to the one you have in your router config) on the network like Enyo said, and you should be set.

So
Do I need to put 198.162.1.xxx as static? System one should be for example 198.168.1.212, system 2 .213, and system 3 .214.

In Mac Addressing do I put the actually IP in there? and whats the 0~10? Is that range from 0 to 10?

Depending on the router's address, assuming that it is 192.168.1.1, anything from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255 should work. I prefer to assign all of my network machines statically, more secure and then you know the IP address when try to trouble shout (for example, pinging 192.168.1.69 always gets my basement PC, instead of it changing)

I have done this on my computers and you will also need to set your connection to use your router (192.168.1.1) as the primary DNS server.

That works if you are using your router as DHCP. I prefer to just enter the DNS servers into each PC's NetConnection properties.

I had to put the router IP as Gateway or should I put the ISP Gateway?

Do I forward the IP's the same way? In the router forward tab?

Your router's IP would be the gateway for each computer.

Netryder-

Do I actually put ip in the Filtered Mac Address. Do I have to put the IP from each computer? or can I do it from one. When I try to put the other computers IP in the Filtered Mac Address. I get an no Mac address Error.

just put the MAC address that you need as the user defined WAN MAC address in the router properties if your ISP requires you to do so, if your ISP doe not need this, then there is no need to screw with these settings.

You should be able to enter the MAC addresses of all the network cards from one computer itself using the router's web config interface.
Each MAC address will be assigned a specific IP address.

Originally posted by j79zlr
just put the MAC address that you need as the user defined WAN MAC address in the router properties if your ISP requires you to do so, if your ISP doe not need this, then there is no need to screw with these settings.

I'm not actually talking about the WAN MAC address. I'm talking about internal MAC addressing to assign static IPs to each computer on the network.

It should look similar to the attached screenshot in your router config.

I'm not sure where you would find it on a Linksys, but that's the basic idea. Someone with a Linksys might help you figure out where it might be. I'm quite sure it's somewhere in the config, since I know my cousins have it set up in a similar way (they have a Linksys too).

Here's basically how the whole setup works:

When you assign an IP to a computer in the router config based on the MAC address of that computer (technically it's NIC) like I showed you in the screenshot, it's like telling the router to assign ONLY the specified IP to that particular computer, rather than dynamically assigning a random IP using the DHCP server.

Once that is set up, it doesn't matter whether you set a static IP on the computer or allow it to dynamically obtain one from the router, since the router already knows that it needs to assign the same IP to that computer based on the computer's MAC address each time it requests one.

uhh, I don't see that setting in my Linksys anywhere. If you want a static IP, why not just manually assign IPs.

The advantage to using MAC addressing even for static IPs is that everything can be controlled from the router itself, rather than configuring multiple machines.

Normally, if you wanted static IP addresses for all your computers, you would have to go to each one of them and assign a static IP in the Network Connections settings.

With Fixed mapping, the router's DHCP server always assigns the same IP address to each computer based on it's MAC address. You don't have to worry about configuring anything on each of the computers - just allow them to obtain IP addresses automatically, and the router takes care of the rest. Anytime you need to change the static IP of any machine, all you need to do is change the IP corresponding to that machine's MAC address in the router settings. Everything is centralized.
Another advantage of this is that it prevents IP conflicts that may occur when you assign the same static IP to two computers accidentally.

But since you say it's not available on the Linksys, you could just manually assign static IPs to each computer individually.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back