Why are there still 32 bit OS's?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

With all of todays mobos, cpus and RAM that has been around for a long while, why is OS's still coming out in 32bit? I would think that eliminating all 32bit OS's, this would force people to upgrade to somewhat half decent hardware.

Thanks

Heeter

Re: Why is there still 32 bit OS's?

I don't think OS makers are going to force major companies to do anything.

I guess your right, AZ.

Heeter

I don't see why dropping 32-bit OS's would step on anyone toes. Provided the 64-bit OS's can still run 32-bit apps there shouldn't be any problem.

Maybe it's down to driver manufacturers though, so guess you're right.

64-bit OS's can't run 16-bit apps which some legacy software that some businesses depend on would be too costly to upgrade, time consuming, complicated, etc.

I worked for a period at a one of the largest supermarket chains in Canada. The inventory and stock control system they used in the warehouse was dated 1988.

Cost, Why should someone be forced to buy new hardware. In a way its unfair, What if they cant afford to?...If someone has a perfectly good laptop that runs fine, but has to upgrade just for 64-bit?.. thats silly.

well ms has said it will stop 32bit os's soon, so we will see wont we :)

Cost, Why should someone be forced to buy new hardware. In a way its unfair, What if they cant afford to?...If someone has a perfectly good laptop that runs fine, but has to upgrade just for 64-bit?.. thats silly.
I believe the solution should be ms and other os for profit compilers continue support for 32 bit operating systems and don't publish any new

of course open source would still be developed no matter what

Windows 7 will be the last 32 bit os that MS comes out with ...

Well.. cos 64 bit doesnt improve performance for lots of people, and in some cases, it even decreases it

so, until its absolutely necessary, theres no harm in having dual builds

Well.... the REAL reason is probably because not systems/CPU's support 64-bit. Most notably is Intel's Atom processor used in damn near every single netbook on the market right now. And seeing as netbooks are quite popular, not releasing a 32-bit OS would be shooting themselves in the foot for that entire market.

Wow, I didn't know the Atom was a 32bit cpu.

Thanks, ED

Heeter

I'm actually thinking it's more along the lines of the fact that they're probably cheaper to design in some way, shape, or form, if they don't support 64-bit. If they made an operating system that was STRICTLY 64-bit in a time where 32-bit CPU's were still used in quite large numbers, they'd be shooting themself in the foot. Probably why Windows 7 is supposedly going to be the last OS in a 32-bit flavor. Gives Intel/AMD time to create 64-bit cpu's to go in netbooks and everything.

Big Corps like where I work have so many programs that will not run in Vista let alone 64bit they are no where near going 64bit ...

I'd forgotten about stone-age 16bit apps, that said I'm not saying they couldn't run those on older hardware, if your OS and hardware works theres nothing forcing you to upgrade it to something 64-bit capable.

As pointed out 64-bit isn't a speed booster, but it will be more efficient with memory addressing. Another benefit is that in many 64-bit OS's the time_t C type is actually a 64-bit type rather than a 32-bit type, this should mitigate the Y2038 timestamp overflow issue.

I reckon OS development should be focused on 64-bit, this would send a message that all older apps would need to be replaced when upgrading to newer hardware.

Well.... the REAL reason is probably because not systems/CPU's support 64-bit. Most notably is Intel's Atom processor used in damn near every single netbook on the market right now. And seeing as netbooks are quite popular, not releasing a 32-bit OS would be shooting themselves in the foot for that entire market.

I've tried Win7 on Atom N270 eee box and boy I really hate to say this but I think 99% of all people who might buy a netbook/nettop with an OS that's newer than XP will find that they'll regret making the purchase.
Don't get me wrong, it is capable of running the newest OS WITH the Aero theme or whatever it's called, but be warned that you need a lot of patience for applications/webpages to load or become the active window if you run more than 1.
The Atom N270 scored a very low 2.3 on the Window Index rating thing.

The newest and future Atom processors will all be 64-bit capable so I don't actually see the point of continuing to design OSes in 32-bit especially Windows Oses.

ming: yeah.... and last i checked, the Asus EeeBox is designed to be an ultra-slim form factor computer that you can basically attach to the back of a TV. Kinda like an EeePC without the screen. Judging by that.... it probably also suffers from the EeePC's flaw.... 5400rpm laptop hard drives. I slapped my OCZ Core v2 SSD in my EeePC 1002HA, and installed Windows 7 on it.... it moved pretty well.

And i wouldn't exactly say "The newest" Atom processors will be 64-bit. THE newest Atom processor, the N280, which was JUST released last month according to the link i previously posted, is also one that's not 64-bit. Future Atom netbook processors.... maybe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back