Who Wants To Know How To Slim Down XP?

• Thread starter NotBold_Fortune
  • Start date
I was actually responding to Bolds response,after your post w/a link to xp-lite.

Bold said what he thinks of xp-lite (in light of all the effort he has put into putting something far better together(for everyone to see) after and because he has tried xp-lite himself).

And then you responded: "No one asked you to pay for it. Just stick with trial.

This I suppose is to be expected "like clockwork". :)

Jus havin fun. Are you confused yet? I sure am. :p

I think I get it. So this response would be like clockwork too? Or am I still confused???

I guess the "gist" is that a lot of people seem to be rather opposed or resistant to Bolds suggestions and rather "protective" of the status quo.

Bold in no way "forces" anybody on the subject.He simply presents an alternative for those who would like an alternative for one reason or another.(And he thinks xp-lite stinks) :p

So does xp-lite really delete IE or does it just hide it ?? I have knoticed that when I would try to uninstall it regularly in the add/remove components it would hide it and not get rid of it .. I was just curious ..

Only one way to find out. Run C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe

BoldFortune,

Should I perform these in Safe Mode? I noticed that a lot of folders will not delete 'cause some service or something is using them.

Heeter

Heeter, if you don't disable System File Protection, then yes, you can perform much of this in safemode. Some folders will return, though, upon restarting, but most will be empty.

If you download the free trial of XPLite, it can very simply, with one click, disable System File protection for you.

System File Protection is a joke anyway. I run with it disabled.

Microsoft should be concentrating on the protection of, and corruption of, and accidental deletion of, important system files...especially those files like the Hall.dll or pci.sys amoung others...which will prevent a good reboot of your system, and prevent Windows from opening. Instead, they choose to protect the "Tour" folder and such.

Would you be able to show me how to disable File Protection, or would it be better through this trial program. I would rather learn on my own than installing software to do it for me. But if it better that way, I will have no probs doing it. I am really looking forward to hacking down my XP to the size it should be, not what MS thinks it ought to be, at least in my opinion.

Thanks BoldFortune

Heeter

Heeter, disabling System File Protection is such a hassle. coathanger has pointed you to an acceptible way.

I made up a way to do it using the techniques used to change the uxtheme.dll by theme managers, but that thread was deleted from another site I had it on when the site crashed and had to be re-built. If I think it through, I'll figure it out again for you.

In the meanwhile, I don't like installing unnecessary programs, either. So I can understand that. But it is soooo simple with XPLite Trial. XPlite Trial is only a simple executable (.EXE file) you can drag from the ZIP folder package it comes in and place anywhere on you computer...no installation neccessary.

haha

Originally posted by Leevoy
NE chance of Britneys number whilst you're at it?:D

no, but i have snoop doggs number :D btw im serious not joking

Bold_Fortune why done you set up an XP ultralite of your own and sell/distribute it? That way people can see exactly how it all works with all the fat removed. Maybe two versions... one extreme version with all the files removed that you have listed in the master list and a wussy version, with not so many removed, for those that are a little more timid about it.

Also BTW has anyone tried Bold_Fortune's version of "slice'n dice" XP on a box with an older slower CPU and maybe a smaller (64MB) amount of RAM? Maybe with all the bloat removed ya don't need so much Memory and CPU speed.

This question is mainly for those that have an old Win 95 or 98 box lying around that they didn't feel like upgrading (hardware) and maybe feel adventurous. :D

gonaads... just noticed you have a nice clean figure of 9600 posts

;)

probably 2 many n00b's giving hin sh!t, that or it didnt work.

He personally tests everything himself so I doubt its the latter. ;)

your probably right Jan

Would like to know where I can get hold of his "Slimdown Xp" list though...

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back