Who Wants To Know How To Slim Down XP?

• Thread starter NotBold_Fortune
  • Start date
I just don't think I have the time to go through and manually delete al of this stuff. I mean, I can see the value in this email for those with 12GB hdds.

We all know WinXP is bloated, and it's install is massive, but I can't find sitting in front of my PC for 30min-1hr manually deleting files as something I look forward to. My rigs running XP are running smooth, so I personally would not go through all of this.

However, as stated above, a very informative post.

sammy, bold fortune has a particular inclination for removing anything that's not neccessary on his computor.

deleting these files will not speed your computor, or make it mores stable, and will possibly impede performance.

it's a hobby of bolds to make the operating system what he wants it to be and not what bill wants it to be

that's the purpose of his effort..he has spent a great deal of time and who knows how many reformatts finding out what he can remove.

me, I'm the type of guy that likes to get all I paid for.

if it's not slowing down my box, and I paid for it, I'm keeping it...

to be fair, I have sent plenty of people to bolds posts on unneccessary files if they are short on hardrive space, and they have thanked me for his link

I'm not about to combat anyone who doesn't dig this. It isn't my problem. If anyone doesn't wanna, don't. I'm not asking anyone to delete anything.

This list was intended for people like myself who always wanted to know what could possibly be deleted from XP and never got the real-deal for an answer. Nothing Else.

Originally posted by NotBold_Fortune
I'm not about to combat anyone who doesn't dig this. It isn't my problem. If anyone doesn't wanna, don't. I'm not asking anyone to delete anything.

This list was intended for people like myself who always wanted to know what could possibly be deleted from XP and never got the real-deal for an answer. Nothing Else.

NotBold_Fortune... I want to be clear that I definately see the value of your list, and can see why many people would find this information extremely valuable. You are right, for those that wait on M$oft for answers, we would be wasting our lives away.

No problem, sammy5gs, I did see that in your post, and I didn't misinterpret it. We're okay.

I wanted to put up that statement, though, and now was as good a time as any. You will see shortly, people are going to start posting negatives here soon. It happens all the time. It is quite the controversial subject, with many opinions about it.

Jan, thanks for looking into getting my name changed. Looks like Jewelzz is going to do it. You must have some pull around here, because no one would help me with it a year and a half ago.

...Oh, see what you can do about getting a soda machine installed, and maybe Pamela Anderson's phone number.

bold fortune, there is definatley value in your list...as I say, I've sent plenty of people to your links on removing files, adn they have thanked me for it.

I think you should contact xp lite, I'm sure they could use your help...that os is not nearly as good as it could be with your help

Below I have a "short list" of files perfectly safe to delete. This short list will still save a considerable amount of hardrive space. Some XP users may feel a little more comfortable following this list as a guideline rather than the master list above. The master list I use is pretty extreme, and is geared more to the advanced, "fearless", computer user.

Just like you would do before you apply any major change to your system...backup. It is so very important to backup our systems regularly. Believe it or not, technically, I haven't re-installed XP in over a year's time.

I do a lot of tweaking and deleting tests, and sometimes I need to re-install...but I only have to re-install XP, and then immediately install the Drive Image program so I can get to a backup image I have saved, either on another partition, or on a 700MB CD. So I never have to "start from scratch", so to speak.

I have numerous backup images on 700MB CDs...dating back to over a year ago. All I have to do is pop one in, copy it to another partition, and use it to restore my system to a different place in time.

That is actually the main reason I delete files. I do need the extra space for this backup method. I have to have my stored backup images each below 700MB. (That's the "compressed backup image" Drive Image makes, not the actual size of the installation on disk. You need to use my master list above to downsize to that point.) The more programs I install, the more disk space is taken up, and more the need to delete some files to save space.

Although this is a short list it is still too long to post here, so I have it here.

http://www.bit-quest.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1697&st=30

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

I thought this post was dedicated to the latest gameshow on ITV. Chris Tarrent apparently had enough of Millionaire!

I'm having a really hard time undrstanding the last two posts. Must be my medicine kicking in.

Originally posted by coathanger007
XPlite
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

Yeah right.

Such a disapointment. My daughter bought herself a copy of XPLite. I played around with it for awhile. This piece of $40.00 crap is just that...crap. After 98Lite, and the fantastic job they did on that program, I certainly expected more.

It deletes very few things. Like I really need to spend $40.00 to delete User Avatars, and Windows Tour.

The two things I was interested in that were on the free trial, and touted as only being available on the "Pro" version, (Pro version...that's a laugh...these guys put together an utterly amatuerish program), MS Data Access Components (MDAC) and Windows Management Instrumention, aren't even on the $40.00 ripoff version....and there is no update!

What a piece of crappy garbage. But let me tell you how I really feel.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back