who knows this????

• Thread starter brintonwhite
  • Start date
B

brintonwhite

Sometimes when I have a program that crashes (say for example windows media player) and i get the dialogue box that asks if I want to report the problem to microsoft - if I say send, Am I supposed to get a reply to this or what?

What does it mean?

Thank you

I get rid of it>

Disabling Error Reporting

By default, WindowsXP will request to report application errors to Microsoft.
To turn this off:
1. Right click on the My Computer icon on the desktop
2. Select Properties / Advanced
3. Click on the Error Reporting tab
4. Check Disable error reporting
:D

You wont get a reply (that would be nice tho!)...i think all that happens is that your report is added to a large database and collated. When a problem becomes widespread (ie lots of the same reports being sent to MS) they will go about fixing it....releasing a patch.

some programs (if supported) well ask you if you want to send in an error report to the maker of the program and sometimes some 3rd party Co. doesn't add this in here so it'll either be send to Microsoft or you just won't get the error box at all... what it does (in your example) is send techanal information about how it crashed and stuff and it sends to the people of made that software (which in your case, it'll be sent to M$ so they could fix the bug if everyone is crashing at that same point as you)... and no, you don't get a reply back.

...this, of course, assumes that someone at Microsoft is paying attention...

It's like letters to Santa. They get to the Post Office... then they disapear. :p

I got a response from ms when I first installed xp.

the response was as I remember worthless.

something to the affect of "the program crashed"...no kidding...right along those lines...I should have kept the email.

that's when I dissabled errror reporting

I like that....

Microsoft has detected an error and must close. Would you like to send a letter to Santa?

kip

they put that in originally for the beta testers to report bug automaticly as they were doing it like they should. part of the reason xp was the best of all the windows so far out of the box.....:happy:

thanks

I've disabled it now.

Thanks for the replies

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back