Who knows maybe it is Software, maybe its Hardware

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hi,
I have been having this problem for so long now.
My desktop does not hold a constant signal to my router or internet.
Even when its supposed to be downloading something it doesn't it starts then stops...
The only way for me to get it to be sending signals back and forth is if i open my network places and constantly click on stuff on other peoples pcs.
Now, i just redid windows and wiped my HDDs clean and it still does it.
I have a ZyXel 360 pci adapter and a belkin 54g router, the one with two antennas.
I am wondering, is it my router, pci card, or windows?
If it is the hard ware can anyone tell me which one it is (PCI or Router) and a good gaming card or router to replace it.
This only happens on my desktop mind you, but i dont do any heavy internet stuff like gaming on my laptop so it might just not be noticeable.
It does this during everyday browsing on my desktop as well, just takes a long time to open pages and such.
I have Comcast 8mpbs internet, which is supposedly 9 because i have the phone service ro something.
anyways any help would be much appreciated.
-Jack

I'd point the finger at the cheap and nasty pci card :)

Go get intel or 3com for wired or netgear for wireless.

i got to the bit where you said belkin router (and all the bells and whistles went off) and ye if its a cheapo pci card that too may be a factor, last time i had one of them i had nothing but problems, took it back and got a linksys (not the best i know) but i never seem to have issues with them

Had a linskys before, was b though.
So i just took my friends belkin g.
Dude, netgear is poopoo. i dont like netgear at all, if I get another card i want it to be linksys, when i had the linksys router and the linksys card i didnt have any problems at all.
The card is supposed to be 108mbps though.
What do you think of this?
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=186931

that card is it pcmcia or pci ? - or they doing that so you have a 2 for one deal - use it in a pc and a laptop?

if your comfortable with linksys go with them

that card is it pcmcia or pci ? - or they doing that so you have a 2 for one deal - use it in a pc and a laptop?

if your comfortable with linksys go with them
My friend has that card i just linked to.
It is pci, and i thought it would work in a laptop, but he said it doesnt.

Netgear is probably the best networking company after cisco and Juniper :) Netgear makes some pretty decent hardware (though they do have a few bad eggs in their basket).

BTW Linksys = Cisco :)

Netgear is probably the best networking company after cisco and Juniper :) Netgear makes some pretty decent hardware (though they do have a few bad eggs in their basket).

BTW Linksys = Cisco :)

The reason that a majority of people by Cisco is that they are a self feeding machine. They train people to get their certifications, those people only buy Cisco equipment. Cisco's technology is aging and it is starting to show. A lot of the smaller companies (Foundry, Extreme) are coming up with superior hardware to allow for better/faster equipment.

Also, people buy Cisco because they are a huge company and they feel that the company is not going to fail.

The problem seems to be fixed by the way,
Im gonna say it was software, because when i redid windows it worked...

Did you more than one type of software trying to access the NIC? For instance, was Windows' built-in Wireless manager trying to access the NIC at the same time as another Wireless manager?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back