who is cleaver with 56K modems

X

xenon1

what at command can I place in to stop the modem from excepting a lower speed.

it is a pci v90 56 flex it connects anywere between 4 and 5 mostly lower 4 .

It depends on the brand of modem, they all have their own initialization strings...

But I wouldn't recommend doing it, because then it will either A. just not let you connect, or B. Take forever to connect

And even if it connects at a higher speed when it at first couldn't all it is going to do is emit a "retrain" signal which will set it down to the lower speed while you are connected. , and there is a string to stop retrains but what happens then is you just get booted off line =/

thanks guys

??? is there any thing I can do to make it down load faster ?

if not what is the best knid of 56K modem to get

If your ISP supports it you could get a V92 modem as this is the fastest you can get on a dail up connection. But if your ISP does not support it it will be a waste of time and money, so find that out first.

Im guessin dat ur modem is Hayes compatibi`le (most modern modems r). U can d/l da Hayes command set n edit da driver file so dat u dont accept slow connections.

But u may not get a net connection if ur ISP is avin a slow day!

enjoy!!

4-6kbs downloading is pretty normal for dial up I've got it to around 8-9 using ftp but pretty much screwed with the the dial up speed...it's like putting a square in a circle not gonna happen.:D

If you want to control at what speed your modem connects try a program called Net Pal. It's does that and much more..... great program for those with dialup. They have a beta version that supports Windows 2000 and XP, you can find it here:
http://www.kburra.com/

It has an option to only connect at a certain speed. I used to set it at 46000 and it would only connect at that speed or higher. Hope this helps :)

Originally posted by silent_bob
Im guessin dat ur modem is Hayes compatibi`le (most modern modems r). U can d/l da Hayes command set n edit da driver file so dat u dont accept slow connections.

But u may not get a net connection if ur ISP is avin a slow day!

enjoy!!

Is this English ;)

NetPal

I started using NetPal over 3 years ago and have found it to be an excellent dial up program . It features a user frendly interface with absolutley no bad habits and it plays well with all other programs. I started with the free program and soon upgraded.
Without NetPal I would connect at any speed between 33,000 to 52,000, so I set it to only accept connections over 49,000 then when I came home from work I would switch on and let it redial till it got a good connection while I made a cold drink.
I would still de using it today but I moved up to ADSL.
HIGHLY RECOMENDED

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back