who is better

I personally like Maxtor for harddrives, but out of the two you listed? I say Western Digital.

However, you are going to get mixed results no matter where you ask this question, don't expect one to shine above the other.

Can't talk from experience, but I've only had complaints/rants from people about seagate drives failing/crashing

well for the fact of what i herd and i already have 3 WD drives that are nice, i have gotten the WD 120GB 8mb 7200rpm drive

Personally, I have enjoy Western Digital HDs. I haven't had one crash on me yet. My longest running WDHD is 5 years old and has had no problems what so ever. I have had two Seagates in my day, both have crashed.

I've been using WD since 1995. Only have had one fail on me--and it was a refurbished drive that was given to me for free. So, if that's any indication, never buy a refurbished hard drive. :p

The Special Edition 8 MB buffer drives are great.

Melon

well I've used and lost both brands of hard drives, but of the two I like WD better.

Reg why in the world does your "Linux" computer have a 9700 pro in it and your xp one have a geforce 4 440? just woundering why you would need that kinda power in an OS that can't play games for jack....:D just woundering;)

I've owned both drives and WD is better. Right now I have a Maxtor and WD 60Gb's and the WD has more space then the Maxtor. :eek: But the Maxtor acceses faster then the WD.:cool:

I have a few old WD drives that are still ticking, but I recently got a newer 120GB (8MB cache) drive and it crashed three days later. I RMA'd it and the replacement one died in a short time too. I ended up getting a Maxtor instead and has been running fine since.

Maybe it was a bad batch or whatever, but I'm a bit jaded on them for now.

Well I'm going to break the pattern with saying Seagate. :)

Reasons:
- Bad experiences with recent WD:s
- Seagate is quieter

i have 2 Western Digital 120GB Hard Drives on my computer and i have never experienced any problems with any of them *touch wood* :rolleyes:

Fujitsu 40GB Hard Drive (master)
Western Digital 120GB Hard Drive (Slave)
Western Digital 120GB Hard Drive (master)

:cool:

Originally posted by sboulema
w00t another stupid brand x versus brand y thread :rolleyes:

what a worthless post..... I smell spam:eek:

Ive had a few maxtor drives that have gone out to one made a screetching sound when it went out was kinda like those tornado warning things.

I work in a company that uses about 70 hard drives in it, and I have to say Western digital is the way to go, we have removed the Maxtor name from our purchase list because of a VERY high failure rate... we once had 35 of them, this was 1 year ago we now have 3 left out of that 35......

in other words MAXTOR SUCKS!!!

We have about 10 segate drives and so far they are nominal but not expecting to buy more of them.

Maxtor sucks you say?

Funny, I have a harddrive in my other machine thats a Maxtor...its been running for 5 years now...and still going strong...

I have 3 other ones, one for 2 years, and still nothing wrong with it. I have 2 in this machine (80gigs), they've been going for 2 months and still no sign of problems.

So I don't know where you got your 35, but perhaps you just hit some bad luck, who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back