Who is a great stand up Comedian.

yup pablo francisco
dave chapelle
ali g
peter russel (havent watched him yet but half my school is talking about him)

Didn't read all the thread, but I need to mention Mitch Hedberg, Brian Regan, and Pablo Francisco, and--nobody ever seems to think of him but he's hilarious--Jerry Seinfeld.

great coupl'a stories coming up.

I used to hire stand up comics for night clubs...jackie martling is a good friend and we used to work shows together...eddy Murphy worked for me two times...not too bad, but didn't develop till later, the dice worked for me once, and from the first time I ever saw him I thought he was going to be big fast

I used to pay the guys between 75 and 1 hundred dollars, and this was a score for them

the funniest stand up I've ever seen however I don't remember the mans name;

he used to do comedy during the lunch hour at Washington square in manhatten...the place was mobbed on a nice day in the hope he'd be there...every time I saw him, the material was new. (this is almost impossible for a stand up)...he used to just work the crowd, and every person in the crowd became part of his comedy.

before Saturday night live was a hit, this man, (he was black) was recruited I believe as a token black, but he would have been the star of the cast

it took about two rehearsals for everyone to realize this comic was illiterate...couldn't read or write.:sad:

they couldn't use him, and he gave Eddie Murphy a call and hooked him up...the rest is history.

robin williams story coming in the next panel

Last edited:
ok...not a great story for those of you that picked robin williams...if you like him, fingers in ears please and move to the next post without reading this one;

my uncle used to own a famous little comedy shop in studio city before comedy shops were a big thing

his shop was called "bla bla café"

bla bla was Albie backward, and this was my bestest uncle Albie...I used to run and jump into his arms when I was just a pooch

famous comics used to work at my uncles place all the time when they had new material...this was a showcase to experiment...johnny carson, Joanne whirly when she was big...just about everybody on laugh in...dangerfeild...everybody

nobody was paid!...they considered it a favor my uncle did for them if he let them practice at the club

unkown comics used to have to guarantee a door, and were paid a percentage of what they brought

for those of you familiar with the area, it was across the street from the "queen mary" (a drag show) which I believe is still going strong

anyway, whenever robin Williams was in the audience, nobody would perform because he would take the biggest punch in a comics routine and add it to his manic one liners

for instance, that "help me, help me" bit with a fly was the running gag of one of the comics that used to be big in long island...I forget his name but he became a mild success in the industry...anyway, because of robin Williams, it would ruin then entire comedy routine, and it would never look original since robin Williams used the line in his set

this is called "stealing a clowns face" and I don't have any respect for robin Williams as a comic.

Last edited:
Interesting stories, perris. Good reads.

Robin Williams is a poor choice for iPod listening anyway. Lol...I had a whole CD of his live stuff and it was excruciating to listen to, not because he isn't funny, but so many of his gags involve faces and gestures that are required for the full effect.

Mitch Hedberg was great, its a shame he past on :(

here's another add on to the "bla bla cafe" if you're wondering why it's not there anymore;

it was really polular at one time...much more bussienss the the "queen mary".

then the really big earthquake hit...I forget the year, but it was a big one in that area...not the most recent...a long time ago.

MY UNCLE'S SHOP WAS THE ONLY BUILDING WITH NO DAMAGE!...not even a single glass broke

believe it or not, this lack of damage was the downfall of the bla bla cafe...inspectors came in to see why this building was the only one that didn't sustain damage.

well, none of the building fit code, and my uncle was fined out of bussiness...none of what needed to be done was earthquake related, and while the rest of the comunity was going to get recovery money and make their buildings even nicer then before, it was going to cost my uncle more then he could afford.

bing...bla bla history

:very sad:

Jerry Seinfeld
Bill Cosby
Chris Rock
Jim Carrey

Canadian Related:

---->alot of the comedians on just for laughs live show are the bomb!<-----
---->or the ones at Yuk Yuks<----

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back