White screen at boot

N

ninernut

Intermittent problem.....at start, system boots to blank white screen, and hangs, forcing a warm boot....any ideas would be appreciated........my system is:
dell dimension 4400
P4 - 1.6ghz
40GB HD
256 RAM
nVidia GeForce2mx4x 64mb
SB live sound card
16x CDRW

System worked fine for three weeks, now this. Have tried to reset from point before white screen issue appeared, but that doesnt solve problem..........

hmm

can u get back into windows? after that white screen? and is ur mobo posting? are you seeing the bios info, and boot sequence, ect?

eGoalter,
thanxxx for responding.......sequence is: 1) dell.com splash screen; 2) Black screen for 2-3 secs; 3) blank white screen; 4) no further activity; can't cntl-alt-del to task mgr., nothing; 5) reboot, boots up normally, i.e., dell screen to winxp splash, to desk top...i've searched a lot of knowledge bases and not a lot of people seem to be having this problem

strange

make sure your graphics card is seated really good in the agp slot, next time ur mobo is posting, ie where its showing ur bios info? look and see if its showing a bios revision for your graphics card. not sure if it will show it there, have u overclocked your graphics board latley? if so u might have fried it. before you go
pulling out hardware to find the problem, my advice would be to
format and do a fresh install, (iknow it suxxer) but if you do that
and still have that white screen, its a good bet the card is toast,
or the mobo, this is a new one , the white screen thing throws you off a bit, so i dont think its a memory, or driver issue.
make sure your mobo bios is up to date. i might have misunderstood , but you are getting to ur desktop right?
also what size powersupply do you have? you need no less than 300watts, for geforce cards. another thing to try is if you have
anything in the pci slot right under the agp slot, move it down
and leave that one free, itll steal from the agp slot like a theif in tha night, lol think about what all you have installed or messed
with in the last 3 weeks, when it was working, let me know.:confused: this is a tough one but nothing is impossible,hehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back