Which version of Vista to get?

Might have been answered already but, if you get the ugprade version and it validates you have a full/legit copy of XP at the moment, what happens when you re-install after a format?

Do you simply install vista directly? Or do you have to install XP first and then install Vista?

Cheers :cool:

You can do a clean install with the upgrade disk. You boot from the Vista DVD and choose the version you paid for but do not enter your key and uncheck the box to automatically activate. After you get to the desktop run install from within windows, choose upgrade and this time enter your key. Have to basically install Vista twice but since it installs quick this is not much time.

Clean install Vista with upgrade disk

I'd rather do that than install XP and then Vista.

Thanks for the info.

Also confirmed to be a workaround that won't go away, rather convenient IMO.

Every time I see a comment about Vista performing better than XP I do wonder if they've used it. Honestly. There is no way that anyone could derive that subjectively. That is why I posted that.

This makes absolutely no sense.

A certain amount of work that was previously off-loaded to the processor is now being handled by the gpu and you have optimization of other features.

With my hardware, there is a decent improvement and a tangible increase in smoothness of everything.

Does everything work? Not entirely, a lot of codecs and the like are still a little ways from working properly. But it IS a snappier feeling o/s.

As far as the pining over them comment, over the top, maybe, but maybe you should point out what you think is wrong with Vista instead of only consistently saying how great it is. Seriously, I only wanted to provide some info on why you shouldn't upgrade to Vista. There are reasons not to upgrade, believe it or not, and someone researching upgrading should be aware of them.

I actually wasn't referring to you in the uber-pro-MS guys comment either, other mods/admins, yes. Ban me, I don't really care.

Here's my issue, I have no problems with a user presenting a fair-minded opinion about something working or not. A good many of the mods here that you are saying are uber-pro-MS guys happen to be working professionals. As such they understand what a good, working o/s means to an end-user.

It is absolutely counter-productive to provide false information for the sake of increasing market-share or whatever it is you are accusing people of doing.

You don't see people bashing you for going so far as donating to freeBSD do you? Hence I seriously fail to see a reason for you to consistently bash an o/s that I cannot, from your posts, see that you have used. At least not in any way close to the manner in which the "uber-pro-MS guys" have.

---

For those interested, I have XP on one hdd and have Vista installed on anotehr hdd. Granted it was a full install, but it makes it a breeze to dual-boot. Far easier than when I was running win2k and win XP on the same system with dual-hdd's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back