which UNIX o/s ?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I've recently obtained an old box off a mate, its only a 133Mhz / 32mb / 2gb HD, but i thought i'd install a unix variant on there to learn and generally play with ... I have the Slackware 8.1 and NetBSD install CD's in front of me.

What i wana know is what would you recommend i put on there, slackware, bsd, or download something else......

Windows XP won't even run on that system... and he wants to play w/ linux. Not that you didn't know that already though. ;)

I didn't read the post I just looked at the poll. :eek:

'Get something else....post suggestion.'

im quite content with the xp install on this box :D
i dont need another :p

You cant get enough XP and you know it! =)

Seriously, go with slackware. I have a 2Gb hdd if you want it to slap in that box, then you can have both slackware and BSD :)

have a 2Gb hdd if you want it to slap in that box

out of curiosity mate, was this one of your old HD's or did it come from a certain cupboard ??? :D :D :D :D :D

Well, i've used slackware on this (my main, not the 133) box before and i like it, had a bit of trouble with creating the boot floppy for it the other day, so its sat in my other room with RedHat7.0 on (for the sake of it having something installed) at the moment.
But if i get this 2gb HD from Chris, then i'll put Slackware on and Download FreeBSD which has been recommended to my by a friend. and have it setup with Dual Boot

Yup didnt like it.
My None Windows experience's are as such (in no order:) ) -

RedHat 7.0
RedHat 7.3 (Wouldn't install B**tard)
Mandrake 8.0 Beta
Mandrake 8.0 Final
Mandrake 8.1
Mandrake 8.2
Debian
Gentoo Linux
NetBSD 1.5.2
Slackware 8.1

and i constantly use a FreeBSD Shell for IRC'ing.

Get a version of RH , it worked fine on my 133mhz computer at the time.

Windows XP, definitely ! I'm not a Linux penguin yet, later maybe, I'm not OS racist...

well...
i had a 133mhz, 2gig HD, 48mb RAM comp too
i left it with Windows 95...!
i used it as a while as a file server.... for storing me roms...
but then i thought it was a waste of electricity and time just to turn it on, JUST to play some of my classic games.....

so what i did was, take out the HD, and put it on this comp, and that's extra 2 gig HD space for this comp :)

but u know wat... i think u should try windows 2000.... i tried to install it on my 133mhz comp, but it wouldn't install... cause it had a really horrible life.... it was struck by lightning which fried alota stuff on the motherboard so i had to look to alternatives, like those... ISA com port cards and all...

i have a perfectly capable box here with Windows XP on it with 60gb space, i dont need windows, this thread was for people to suggest which UNIX based o/s i should use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back