which slots for dual channel? k8nneo2 plat board...

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
well ive got the system which isnt built yet. well i dont understand what they are saying here.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607

ive read it in one of the tpc books and it said in there to, put one in green (slot1) and the other in purple (slot4) is this even right? well i thought dual channel should be like same color, green green? isnt it? well i have the corsair 1024xl pro just to give an idea..

from the looks of that page it looks like you need slot one (green) and then slot two (purple) for dual channel

green-green or purple-purple

Manual says the following:
Always insert memory modules into the green slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are empty
But for dual channel it looks like you put one in GREEN and one in PURPLE.

Attachments

• memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 58
well in that case, putting the ram in banks 1 and 3 will provide the dual channel. i assume :p

not on that board...it's 1 and 2...look at a pic of the board
channel A is green channel B is purple

oops, ignore me... lets just stick with saying put them in the green slots :p

All boards are in the format of green-purple-green-purple (colours may vary of course).

If you look closely at the info just above the first table, it'll tell you that the dual-channel options are the combinations listed in that first table. i.e what Tuffgong just mentioned.

Please refer to the following table for detailed dual-channel DDR. Other combination not listed below will function as single-channel DDR.

Read it :p

MSI Reminds You...
• Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page.

And again below the first table

ming said:
All boards are in the format of green-purple-green-purple (colours may vary of course).

I dont know if you mean all MSI boards, or all boards, but if its the latter then i have to dissagree. I had an Asus board that had 3 banks, banks 2 and 3 were used for dual channel ram. And they were all colored black.:suprised:

thekore said:
I dont know if you mean all MSI boards, or all boards, but if its the latter then i have to dissagree. I had an Asus board that had 3 banks, banks 2 and 3 were used for dual channel ram. And they were all colored black.:suprised:

Ahh, sorry. As mentioned, I've never had a dual-channel board before, and assumed that all dual channel boards had 4 banks.

we should remove double rep points from ming for his misinformation :D

ok built it, and put it on 1 + 3 which is same color, cpuz says its on single channel, and like what is said uptop, 1+2 is ineed the choice for dual channel...bit wierd cuz its usually color coded. i guess msi is different....thx for everything guys...

glad we could help...

All motherboards are not the same and you have to look for what that particular board wants. From what I understand most older boards used to be 1 and 3. Things have changed and all that really has to be done is look in the manual for each board...what is good for one motherboard is not good for all in the case of dual channel memory

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back