which slots for dual channel? k8nneo2 plat board...

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
well ive got the system which isnt built yet. well i dont understand what they are saying here.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607

ive read it in one of the tpc books and it said in there to, put one in green (slot1) and the other in purple (slot4) is this even right? well i thought dual channel should be like same color, green green? isnt it? well i have the corsair 1024xl pro just to give an idea..

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political User
from the looks of that page it looks like you need slot one (green) and then slot two (purple) for dual channel

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
green-green or purple-purple

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Manual says the following:
Always insert memory modules into the green slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are empty
But for dual channel it looks like you put one in GREEN and one in PURPLE.

Attachments

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
well in that case, putting the ram in banks 1 and 3 will provide the dual channel. i assume :p

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political User
not on that board...it's 1 and 2...look at a pic of the board
channel A is green channel B is purple

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
oops, ignore me... lets just stick with saying put them in the green slots :p

ming

OSNN Advanced
All boards are in the format of green-purple-green-purple (colours may vary of course).

If you look closely at the info just above the first table, it'll tell you that the dual-channel options are the combinations listed in that first table. i.e what Tuffgong just mentioned.

ming

OSNN Advanced
Please refer to the following table for detailed dual-channel DDR. Other combination not listed below will function as single-channel DDR.
Read it :p

ming

OSNN Advanced
MSI Reminds You...
• Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page.
And again below the first table

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
ming said:
All boards are in the format of green-purple-green-purple (colours may vary of course).
I dont know if you mean all MSI boards, or all boards, but if its the latter then i have to dissagree. I had an Asus board that had 3 banks, banks 2 and 3 were used for dual channel ram. And they were all colored black.:suprised:

ming

OSNN Advanced
thekore said:
I dont know if you mean all MSI boards, or all boards, but if its the latter then i have to dissagree. I had an Asus board that had 3 banks, banks 2 and 3 were used for dual channel ram. And they were all colored black.:suprised:
Ahh, sorry. As mentioned, I've never had a dual-channel board before, and assumed that all dual channel boards had 4 banks.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
we should remove double rep points from ming for his misinformation :D

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
ok built it, and put it on 1 + 3 which is same color, cpuz says its on single channel, and like what is said uptop, 1+2 is ineed the choice for dual channel...bit wierd cuz its usually color coded. i guess msi is different....thx for everything guys...

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political User
glad we could help...

All motherboards are not the same and you have to look for what that particular board wants. From what I understand most older boards used to be 1 and 3. Things have changed and all that really has to be done is look in the manual for each board...what is good for one motherboard is not good for all in the case of dual channel memory

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryrtoles