Which router would you suggest?

unknownsoul

OSNN Senior Addict
I'm looking at completely redoing a network for a church I work at now. It'll have less than 50 devices connecting at any given time, yet I need to be able to vlan them out so that way certain segments of the network can't talk to the others. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Have to concur. The business editions offer more support than the home division, which could make a difference in your case.

you doing this over wireless? not sure if any linksys wireless devices can do multiple vlan's.. you may need to look at the Cisco Aironet access points and do an 802.1q trunk back to the main network.

yeah, cisco is the choice you want. As for home use, Linksys stinks ..

you doing this over wireless? not sure if any linksys wireless devices can do multiple vlan's.. you may need to look at the Cisco Aironet access points and do an 802.1q trunk back to the main network.

I'm not using the wireless, except for one vlan that will have a WAP there.
I'll look into the cisco equipment. They seem to do pretty good there.

One other question. would it be better for the router to do the dns and dhcp, or move that over to a server?

router will forward dns requests to a dns server of your choice. I'd recommend opendns.com router should be left to handle DHCP unless they already have a server doing so.

id go for draytek 2820n
plenty of scope for vlan's and 4 independant ssid's

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back