Which processer is least likely to freeze?

T

Tiffany

Which processer is least likely to freeze & most able to recover after a crash

or forced shutdown? I had a Pentium 4, 1.8 that easily froze & would not

recover. I had Celerons that didn't easily freeze & they recovered far better

than the Pentium 4. They hardest thing I do is unzip files & defragment,

which seems to tire my PC out. I have a Celeron 2.1 now. It seems to freeze

temporarily on Firefox. Which processer should I get in the future. I have 2 -

256 MB Kingston memory sticks.

Thanks

This is not a processor issue. Maybe more of a page file usage. Are there a lot of programs on your system at startup?

Intel CPU's are more reliable engineering wise. Always have been, however your problem is more likely a motherboard or RAM issue. CPU's rarely fail and if they do they usually fail in such a way you either get no power on or its intermittant on schedule :)

This is not a processor issue. Maybe more of a page file usage. Are there a lot of programs on your system at startup?
No. I just used a program to turn off a bunch of unnecessary applications at start up.

When is the computer freezing? are you running a particular program when it crashes? are there a lot of apps open when it crashes? are you getting any error messages?

What do you mean recover? What do you mean crash/freeze?
Freeze means I click something & nothing moves.

Nothing happens. I click it again & the hourglass comes on. It still won't do

what I clicked it to do. I try to turn it off. It won't turn off. I get a box that

says 'SYSTEM IS NOT RESPONDING. END NOW OR CANCEL'. I click 'end now'.

Or I turn it off with Task manager. It asks me if I want to send an error

message to Microsoft.

After my Pentium 4 was turned off I could not get it to work again. That's

what I meant by 'It wouldm't recover'. I had to call tech support. I just got

that PC. When I had a celeron, It did start again.

By 'crash', I mean the application turns off without me turning it off or I do a

forced shutdown.

Thank you all for replying.

Sounds like either Windows is having some driver issues, or the windows instalation is going bad. And the whole thing about what CPU's are more reliable is such a load of BS. Every CPU has excellent reliability. You wouldn't believe the sort of testing they do. It's probably the most reliable piece of hardware in a machine.

The only reason why someone would have freezing or lockups or slowness are: virus, spyware, hardware incompatibility, hardware failure, hardware searching, too many programs running, windows corruption.

Is your windows a fresh installation:

A lot of common slowdowns/lockups are related to CD/DVD drive failures actually. The system is checking for those drives, and keeps checking. But I'm not saying this is the case though. I don't know what your system is doing exactly and can't physically see it.

That is nothing hard ware related. You need to go searching elsewhere for the problem.

I beg to differ. If HDD is developing bad sectors it will create slowdowns and lockups or even restarts, at random. Including the random program crash/lockup. I have seen this first hand, twice. Actually, three times, once at work. It can get ugly. If she were to do a full surface scan of her HDD it would eliminate any thoughts of this. Or find bad sectors, and then there's the problem. Once that HDD starts to die and those bad sectors start to pile up, it's all down hill.

Then again if her drives are fragged to hell and back... A good defrag could perk everything right up. At work right now one of the drives is 55% fragmented and this is the one with the database program for all our auto repair and stuff. It was still defragging when I left to come home. 120GB worth.

Last edited:
I ran a CHCK DSK [Check Disk] with the recovery console & the Windows XP

restore CD. It said there were errors on the volume. It said it fixed them. I

use Diskeeper Lite to defragment every day. It says my PC is slightly

fragmented.

I think when I change something, some thing else changes because my

processer is weak & small & my Windows becomes corrupted.

Thank you all for your replies.

I ran a CHCK DSK [Check Disk] with the recovery console & the Windows XP

restore CD. It said there were errors on the volume. It said it fixed them. I

use Diskeeper Lite to defragment every day. It says my PC is slightly

fragmented.

I think when I change something, some thing else changes because my

processer is weak & small & my Windows becomes corrupted.

Thank you all for your replies.

Like was already mentioned, it could be either your HDD, or your windows load needs repaired...

If I were you I would try repairing your install by rebooting with your windows CD in the drive, and let it start doing an install, then when it comes up and finds the existing windows partition and asks if you want to try and repair it answer yes, and see if that fixes your problem...

How long have you had this system?

at the risk of drifting way off topic I'd make a couple of observations:-

1. Your 512 memory from two sticks has become woefully small in modern times - take on board all the previous advice and on top of that, since you were clearly considering processor/machine upgarde when you posted, consider buying at least one 1GB stick, maybe two depending on future plans and/or available slots.

2. If you seriously asked that question because you want to move along, CPU wise then there's little doubt the current WTG would be the Intel Duo. I hope that is not AMD fanboy bait :p

If you want advice one going that way I suggest a fresh thread - this one is headng down the fixing your system road. Also those two choices are connected, because you could incorporate memory in future systems (whereas the 256 sticks are a little small).

My PC is 3 years + 8 months old. I don't remember when I did my last install.

When I try to do a repair, it asks for some type of validation.

Thanks for replying.

yeah - you need your windows install validated - follow the instructions, should be no problems if legit... if the install is as old as the PC, mor eor less, this should be a good healthy thing to do, that is getting long in the tooth for a windoes install, you'll feel better for it after (I only have one rig running as old as that due to a slowly dying HD, and it has its sluggish moments for sure).

My PC is 3 years + 8 months old. I don't remember when I did my last install.

When I try to do a repair, it asks for some type of validation.

Thanks for replying.

Did you validate it?

Did it say it wasnt valid?

If so, like I have had to do, call Microsoft, and if you have changed anything in the PC simply tell them it is in the same box with different hardware, and tell them that is the only PC you have...

Write back and tell us what has happened...

Also, like MFG said your memory should be bumped to 512 min... I cant believe I missed that previously...

Reps + MFG!

Did you validate it?
I don't know how to

validate it. It said it wanted a # from somewhere. I did many fresh installs. I

couldn't find the # they wanted. Windows came with my PC.

Also, like MFG said your memory should be bumped to 512 min...
My memory is 512. I wrote that it's 2 - 256 kingston memory sticks.

I don't know how to

validate it. It said it wanted a # from somewhere. I did many fresh installs. I

couldn't find the # they wanted. Windows came with my PC.

My memory is 512. I wrote that it's 2 - 256 kingston memory sticks.

OOPS.. I guess I misread that... anyway... the product number they are looking for should have come on the sleeve for the install...

OR there should be a repair disk... who is the PC manufactered from?

HP, Dell, G-way.. other?

Model #?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back