Which processer is least likely to freeze?

If you had errors on the volume of the HDD then it could have possibly corrupted Windows. But it depends on how bad and how many errors there were. It gets repaired but that doesn't mean that all of the OS is working properly. If you are still running the computer since you did the Check Disk you may want to do it again. Reason is, if you run Check Disk and it finds errors again then the HDD is dying and the Operating System will continue to get corrupted until the computer will have a very hard time booting up, or not at all.

the product number they are looking for should have come on the sleeve for the install...
I think I lost the sleeve that the Windows CD came in.
OR there should be a repair disk... who is the PC manufactered from?

HP, Dell, G-way.. other?
gateway model 300s

Thanks

this is going to sound very basic - but have you looked for a sticker anywhere on the casing (usually back where sockets are, but check all around, even underneath if necessary....)

It has a little shiny holo thing - this bears your Windows key and it is actually part of the license agreement usually that it is physically attached to the box. If you bought new and it is gateway it surely must have been there... so do also check under any stickers you might have applied to casing to cover up that ugly M$ sticker!

On the other hand if this was from some second hand outfit or person - it is just possible you have an invalid install - I would still try some calls and if you are deadly honest I think you'll get a result from M$ even on the line - so long as the original Xp license was paid they are robbing you really if it will not validate. Just be honest and go through the process.... they have the power to give you a valid key and are very used to talking folks through the whole thing - do set aside a good amount of time before you make the call and have a pen and paper to hand though....

if this was from some second hand outfit or person - it is just possible you have an invalid install -
I bought my Gateway PC from the factory. It was assembled by them. I got

Windows installed by them. I have the windows restore CD. But I can't find

the case for the CD. Can I contact them online? If so, what's the email

address? If I have to call, do you know the number?

Thanks for your help.

If you had errors on the volume of the HDD then it could have possibly corrupted Windows. But it depends on how bad and how many errors there were. It gets repaired but that doesn't mean that all of the OS is working properly. If you are still running the computer since you did the Check Disk you may want to do it again. Reason is, if you run Check Disk and it finds errors again then the HDD is dying and the Operating System will continue to get corrupted until the computer will have a very hard time booting up, or not at all.
I just ran the CHKDSK. It found errors again.

It fixed them again. It fixed them before when I ran it a couple days ago. Do

you think my hard drive is going? It's under 4 years old.

Thank you all for replying.

Can I contact them online? If so, what's the email

address? If I have to call, do you know the number?

Thanks for your help.

Sure you can probably contact them online. As for the email address? Check their web-site. We can not hand hold you throughout this entire process. As for a number, same thing, check their web-site, check the documentation you got with your computer.

My pc came with a Restore disc and the validation number is printed on a sticker which is a stuck to the back of the of the computer case.

If your finding errors with a chkdsk, sounds like you are having reoccuring hard drive problems. Probably related to a bad sector or something else. I wouldn't trust your Windows installation OR your HD at the moment. Use a program to find your serial number. There are a few out there. RockXP4, MagicJellyBean, Windows Keyfinder. And if some of these suggestions are blocked because of possible restrictions do to the nature of the programs (looking up windows serials on your computer), which I don't think would be a problem. Just perform a search in google for "Finding your windows xp serial in windows." That should give you your serial.

I just ran the CHKDSK. It found errors again.

It fixed them again. It fixed them before when I ran it a couple days ago. Do

you think my hard drive is going? It's under 4 years old.

Thank you all for replying.

It is beginning to sound like the Hard Drive is dying. If in fact each time you run CHKDSK it finds errors on the drive then it will become more and more of a problem. Just because it's under 4 years old doesn't always mean it is still in good shape. I had a Hard Drive dead within a year of installation. I still have it and it still has a ton of data on it. Anyway, I don't know if your computer is still under warranty, it probably isn't (sorry). So I don't think that Gateway is going to be of any help. The best thing you could probably do is find a good reputable Computer shop near you and ask them what it would take for them to install a new Hard Drive into your computer and transfer your Operating System and all data to the new drive. I had one done about 5 months ago (way too tiring to do this myself anymore and too many headaches). They installed a new drive and transfered everything over to it. And mine was boarderline to the point of no recovery (way too many bad sectors before I realized it was dying). They will tell you what they need from you as to recovery CD or any other info software key or whatever. I think it's the best way to go. Then you have new drive fresh and clean. Good running Operating System and no more screw ups. Good Luck. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back