Which ports to close?

sy64004

OSNN Addict
Can any one please help me. I'm running Zonealarm pro and want to add some extra security by closing down any un-needed ports. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a list of ports (udp, tcp, etc) I can safely shut down.

Thanks for any help

Umm, for extra security that's backwards. You want to close all ports then open just the ones you specifically need. Like for voice chat, or if you have an FTP, ones for a specific game, etc.

sy64004 said:
Thanks LeeJend. Do you know of a list of such ports??

Really depends which applications you use. If I recall, Zone Alarm prompts you when a program tries to access the internet. If you really do want that program to have access, just say so. Zone Alarm will open the needed ports, and close them afterwards.

Well why dont you start by taking a look at what ports are actually open.

'Active Ports' and 'TCPView' are nice tools that will give you an idea of what application is holding what port open.

Tackle the windows services you don't use with some help from the 'Black Viper' Services guide and get information on ports you don't know about at:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/ports

Is there any free application out there which can open/close ports for you?

Yes, its called a firewall :)

No, there is no application that can shutdown the ports from listening at all. It's something you have to do manually by identifying the process using the port and terminating it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back