Political Access
Heres what I got.

Panasonic Toughbook CF-27
500mhz
256meg RAM
Hot swap floppy and cdrom
Touch screen monitor

Question is.
What would be a good linux choice.. I'm not good at linux. so I need it to install and load up.

I tried Redhat and mandrake and seemed to bulky for this machine. Also tried Lindows/Linspire 4.5 That wouldn't work cause I couldn't load anything on it..

My last choice was NetBSD install was tricky but I got it.. But it would only boot to console. No gui.. I was told to type root, then type the password. I did then they told me to type startx. When I did this it scrolled a few things then just went to a black screen..

So that didn't work..
What would be a good choice of Linux.
also. is it hard to make my Pcmcia Wireless and lan cards to work.. Also what about my touch screen?

You have some tricky hardware.. you might want to try Ubuntu (GNOME flavor) /Kubuntu (KDE flavor) 5.04 Live CD to test if it find proper driver for your Wifi card and touchscreen.. or as X-Istence said Fedora or SuSe. Both are nice but i prefer SuSe for it's overall presentation and YaSt system.

or if all else fails just get windows xp, all thw other linux crap is for people who can't admit when they're beaten.

I agree with suse. It is easy to install from DVD and easy to update. 9.3 has firefox loaded without any work. It is very clean to me.

SuSE get's my vote, easiest learning curve I've found. Good luck with Linux, I loved it with the exception of lack of ported software that I need.

my toughbook is fantastic and it only has 192 mem. CF-48 i run Xp on it but it did fairly well with ubuntu on mine as well as knoppix.

lancer said:
or if all else fails just get windows xp, all thw other linux crap is for people who can't admit when they're beaten.

Nice, helpful post. Maybe you're just not smart enough to use linux. Editting text files can consume alot of brain power.

j79zlr said:
Nice, helpful post. Maybe you're just not smart enough to use linux. Editting text files can consume alot of brain power.
Lancer's post was uncalled for, but to be honest, it takes more patience than actual intelligence to use Linux.

Anyway, let's stay on topic. Like someone above already suggested, I think you should try the Ubuntu LiveCD first. If everything works nicely, and you like it, you can install it. If not, you can always look for another distro. I personally had quite a good experience with Ubuntu when I tried it. :)

lancer said:

As others have said this does not help the poster.

Why would you suggest Windows XP, if the poster asks for Linux by name? It is not like he asked "What OS should i get for my ToughBook?". No he asked "What distribution of Linux should i get for my Toughbook".

In this case, your post is unhelpfull, and at the same time a flame. Seeing as other mods have not done anything about it, i will leave your post as-is, but anymore such comments will not be appreciated. Everyone has their own choice of OS, and that should not be put down, just because you do not appreciate it. If this is too hard for you to do, please do not visit this section of the forums anymore, so that we don't get any trouble.

Jan-Willem Regeer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back