Which one?

kreation

OSNN Junior Addict
I was going to biuld a new system based around an Athlon XP2700+ 2.2 GHz 333 MHz cpu.

Having searched the net for prices I can get an P4 2.66 GHz Boxed PC533- Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood", for the same money.

So now I'm not sure which system to build, does this P4 cpu blow the XP cpu away?

Thanks in advance

I see you have the same XP cpu, why is it better, if it comes down to speed surely the P4 wins?

Thanks

i like it because of the ability to unlock the processors multipliers..either physically or thru the bios

if it does just come down to speed than the p4 obviously wins...but remember the AmdXp PR rating of 2700+ = equivalent, if not higher than a p4@2.7ghz

just ran sandra and the multimedia/arithmetic performance is on par with a p4-B 2.8ghz 512

welcome......but dont just take my word or opinion

try doing more research on it b4 buying.......maybe the p4 is better suited for your needs...cant really go wrong with either one...both powerful

good luck:)

so the athlon, if matched to an intel by ghz. (Intel 3ghz V.S. Athlon3ghz) the Athlon would destory the intel right? both with the same DDR and vid card and all that... ???

Errr... first thing i'd like to point out...

Athlon XP 1800+ != Pentium 4 1.8ghz
Athlon XP 2000+ != Pentium 4 2.0ghz
Athlon XP 2100+ != Pentium 4 2.1ghz
Athlon Xp 10000+ != Pentium 4 10ghz

okay... have we got that straight people???

XP RATING DOES NOT EQUAL P4 RATING!!!

XP Rating is based on an equivalant Athlon Thunderbird running at that gigahertz rating.

ie. Athlon XP 1800+ (1533mhz) = Athlon Thunderbird 1800mhz
Athlon XP 2100+ (1733mhz) = Athlon Thunderbird 2100mhz

An Athlon XP does 9 instructions per cycle where as P4's do 6? 5? (can't remember but i know its significantly less)

So why do people like to compare a 2700+ with a 2.7ghz??

Because the numbers look the same!!! But AMD (although its kinda implied) do not advocate this.

When you look at reviews. Realise that an Athlon XP running at a significantly lower clock speed is narrowly missing the reaches of a higher clocked P4.

All Intel has done is increased the number of cycles so it is competitive with Athlons.

Athlon is efficient. Pentium is grunty.

Both chips are good. It is all personal preference.

Just so you know... Athlon XP 3000+ doesn't beat a Pentium 4 3.0ghz but this is all organ size comparison tools so it actually means jack squat.

Root for your favourite team. Its just that Team Intel costs a bit more for membership.

I believe i stated that the AmdXp 2700 PR =p4 2.7, not amdxp2700=2.7ghz:)

i dont know if that was aimed at me, but it looked like it.

note: i didnt say Athlon 3000+ VS Intel 3ghz.. i said Athlon 3GHZ VS Intel 3GHZ..

but from what you said, Athlon would win because it sends more instructions per cycle. so indirectly, you answered my quesiton, thankyou.:blink:

Originally posted by dubstar
so the athlon, if matched to an intel by ghz. (Intel 3ghz V.S. Athlon3ghz) the Athlon would destory the intel right? both with the same DDR and vid card and all that... ???

by the time amd gets to 3ghz i would hope so:)

Originally posted by mbunny
Just so you know... Athlon XP 3000+ doesn't beat a Pentium 4 3.0ghz but this is all organ size comparison tools so it actually means jack squat.

lol... so true - ive got a p3 750mhz and its VERY efficient for my needs imho. no need for me to get a 3GHz cpu, because it would end up as saying "mine is bigger than yours" as compared to "do i actually need this?"

Athlon XP 1800+ != Pentium 4 1.8ghz
Athlon XP 2000+ != Pentium 4 2.0ghz
Athlon XP 2100+ != Pentium 4 2.1ghz
Athlon Xp 10000+ != Pentium 4 10ghz

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
I believe i stated that the AmdXp 2700 PR =p4 2.7, not amdxp2700=2.7ghz

[CpK]Bastid - thats what mbunny said... just because AMD called their XP CPU the "2700+", it doesnt at all mean its equal to a pentium 4 2.7GHz... not at all... nowhere near. Like he said, the AMD XP 2700+ IS equal to an AMD Thunderbird 2.7GHz CPU though.

Originally posted by jonifen
lol... so true - ive got a p3 750mhz and its VERY efficient for my needs imho. no need for me to get a 3GHz cpu, because it would end up as saying "mine is bigger than yours" as compared to "do i actually need this?"

"Do I actually need this?"... that quote probably saved me $300, I totally changed my prespective on computers. Right now I have a 550mhz, and It does feel slow, and games on it suck, but that doesnt mean I need a 2.5ghz overclocked to 3.5ghz with a subzero cooling and 6 fans. Especially since I'm only using it for writing essays and watching some downloaded movies once in a while, maybe a game here or there.

Thankyou Jonifen.:happy:

Yep... lets trust TomsHardware reviews. Cause they are truly unbiased reviewers. Their review of the GeForce FX was fair, unbiased and had no malintent to ATi.

Yep... I trust TomsHardware.

Homer Simpson: "In case you didn't know, I was being sarcastic"

a 3ghz AMD would absolutely kill a 3ghz P4. No doubts. Its the problem of getting a 3ghz AMD =P

I'm glad you realised the needs/wants quandry.

A 1800+ (good value and performance) will last you a while and its cheap =)

AMD have never ever publically stated that their PR rating is based on a Intel P4. In fact they quite specifically state its compared to an Athlon Thunderbird.

AMD have never ever publically stated that their PR rating is based on a Intel P4. In fact they quite specifically state its compared to an Athlon Thunderbird.

mind you... they set their XP names to compare it to a thunderbird at that speed, but i wonder how many people at AMD who agreed on using that method of naming intended it for confusion against Intels?

I've seen the 2100+ is a decent price lately... might be updating my gfs computer cuz she's a lot more impatient than me... I'm happy with what I've got for now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back